http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/FernValleyBanner_2014.gif
http://georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/2012NovNGTOBanner.gif

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailwater River Rise Videos? As a Sticky?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailwater River Rise Videos? As a Sticky?

All the threads about tailwaters, checking the release schedule, wear your PFD, get out when water begins to rise, etc. got me thinking.

With all the new video cameras out there among the collectve and the video editing and posting skills around here I wonder if folks could shoot some video of river rises during generation while they are out and about? I don't know if everyone, especially newbies can picture what is meant by "dramatic and sudden water rises".

I've seen Buford fire up generation in person standing on the people-bridge below the tailrace "rock cut". Impressive rise and I took some still photos. Ditto for Lloyd Shoals on Ocmulgee. I got a taste of a small hydro dam river release in Geneva a fews weeks ago when they opened up two gates on very low dam on the Rhone. It created some serious whitewater and elevated river flows downstream. It is one thing to see high water from an ongoing release when you show up or drive by, it is something else to actually see it rise and see rocks and other landmarks dissappear quickly.

Anyway, just a thought. I lack a video camera and proximity to hydro dams to shoot releases myself.

TH
    "Message received, no reply"

Good Idea

I've been caught by surprise in the SoHo when the water started coming up. I was several miles downstream from the dam and was not keeping a close enough eye on the watch.

I DID teach me a lesson.
    No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he " rubbed " you. And rubbin, son, is racin'. Harry from " Days of Thunder "

Comment

Super Idea!

Tailwaters provide fishing access for many people, and I guarantee very few of those anglers have any real appreciation for that "sudden rise and violent turbulence" mentioned on those signs nobody reads.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Water rise

My son and I have sat and watched the change in water levels below Bowmans and it is significant. Probably about
        4' in water level change and extreme current change.

Comment

Good idea!

Yeah that is a good idea. I've seen the release at the dam before as well. I imagine that waders and tubers have a decent respect for the rapid rise and turbulent flows. I question however the shore fishermen. A lot of those banks around the dam are very steep and some body types may have trouble scaling the bank, or if they wait to late they may not find there way up in time. Because it is literally 2 minutes until the river rises 3 or 4 feet.

I'm not saying that fire and rescue aren't well trained in river rescue, but you may not survive the shock of the freezing 48'degree water w/ 4ft rapid rise for the 5 minutes it would take the rescue crew to life flight a rescue team, or the 10 minutes it may take for the boat rescue to get there.

I'm just saying.

Comment

Hey there, first time poster here, and I am hopeful that someone can answer a topic-related question for me. From the time they sound the warning horns at Buford Dam, how much time is there until they start releasing?

The reason I ask is this. I am planning to wade between the dam and Bowman's Island for the first time on the 18th, and although I believe I have all my proper safety gear in order, I've never seen a release there. I will call the Army Corp to check the schedule ahead of time, but I'd still like to know what to expect if the horns sound.

Real quick background info; I'm a Florida fly-angler that has fly-fished the hooch a few times before. Last time I was at Settles, I witnessed a release first-hand, so I have a feel for what it's like farther downstream.

So anyway, I appreciate any info/warnings/tips, and if you happen to be at Settles Bridge on the 17th or Bowman's on the 18th and see some fool who doesn't look like he knows what he's doing, that'll probably be me.

Comment

1st siren is sounded at the time posted for the beginning of a release.

2nd siren is sounded 5 minutes later. You should definitely start working your way to shore if you have not all ready.

3rd siren is sounded 5 minutes after the 2nd and if your no where near the shore you better double time it cause if you look up toward the dam it is right after the 3rd siren that you start seeing the water churning and within the next minute or so even the easily wadeable areas are too turbulent to cross.

Then I think for the next half hour they sound the siren every 5 minutes, but by this time if you were wading, you're either taking off your waders or SOL.

P.S. Next time I'm up that way before a release I'll try to capture. Maybe Wet Fly will be there and we can capture on his camera that can do 720p HD.
              Last edited by SlowStreamer; 07-06-10, 02:12 PM.
              Nothing is impossible the impossible just takes a little longer. So take your time and enjoy the experience.
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you SlowStreamer! That is exactly the information I couldn't seem to find anywhere. At least I now know I have ten minutes to get to shore, and with my wading ineptitude, I'll probably need every second!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowStreamer View Post
                  P.S. Next time I'm up that way before a release I'll try to capture. Maybe Wet Fly will be there and we can capture on his camera that can do 720p HD.
                  Who knows? I just may get up there tomorrow morning and see what we can see. Clear skies and low humidity should equal decent fishing. But, Germany and Spain play tomorrow in a semi-final game, which will be dynamite, so I am having second thoughts. I am torn....
                  WF
                  sigpic
                  There's nought as queer as folk.

"From the end of May to the end of August, a drizzling or thoroughly wet day is the best; next to which is a showery one, and then a bright day with a breeze of wind; a dark day without wind is the worst of all." W.C. Stewart

Comment

Last year I shot some video, of the rising water just above Bowman's Island. The video really wasn't nearly impressive as it was in person. Probably because of the location I was at. Maybe if I was at the bridge it would have come out better.
                    sigpic
                    ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
                    - B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"Your a Idiott" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

Comment

OK, here's some video I shot the other day of the river rising once the release starts. Do forgive the shaky hands and amateur video and editing. The first clip has the flow before the release, and you can hear the first siren being sounded, and then half way through the clip, the second. In real life, the sirens are 5 minutes apart. I had to edit to meet the upload file size limits. The second clip starts just seconds before the third siren is sounded and it runs uninterrupted for 5:25 sec. I cut out 90sec at this mark and when it picks back up it runs without breaks until the end of the clip. As you will see, 5 minutes is all it really takes for the river to rise significantly. That tree limb near side was a foot underwater by the time I left. My guess is that the river rose roughly 6 feet. SlowStreamer and I have witnessed this many times from a safe distance; it is truly a remarkable transformation. It is best to be out of the river before you hear the siren, but if you happen to lose the sense of time I would take SlowStreamer's evacuation instructions very, very seriously. Even this shallow, flat stretch turned into a raging torrent in a matter of minutes. Always wear a PFD and be safe out there.

[ame="http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/lafomamone/?action=view&current=RegularFlow.mp4"]RegularFlow.mp4 video by lafomamone - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid270.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/lafomamone/RegularFlow.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@vid270@@AMEPARAM@@270@@ AMEPARAM@@jj112/lafomamone/RegularFlow@@AMEPARAM@@mp4[/ame]

[ame="http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/lafomamone/?action=view&current=RiverRising.mp4"]RiverRising.mp4 video by lafomamone - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid270.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/lafomamone/RiverRising.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@vid270@@AMEPARAM@@270@@ AMEPARAM@@jj112/lafomamone/RiverRising@@AMEPARAM@@mp4[/ame]
                      Last edited by SlowStreamer; 03-29-11, 05:17 PM.
                      WF
                      sigpic
                      There's nought as queer as folk.

"From the end of May to the end of August, a drizzling or thoroughly wet day is the best; next to which is a showery one, and then a bright day with a breeze of wind; a dark day without wind is the worst of all." W.C. Stewart

Comment

Nice footage WF.

I'll try to get some of these from the creek perceptive to show how quickly the exposed rocks down that way get totally covered in no time at all.
                        Last edited by SlowStreamer; 07-15-10, 07:53 PM.
                        Nothing is impossible the impossible just takes a little longer. So take your time and enjoy the experience.
                        sigpic

Comment

OK, here's my go at trying to document what the water release looks like below Buford Dam. I captured today's 3:55 release and I tried to concentrate on the rocks above Bowman's Island. You will notice how quickly the water rises between the 3rd and 4th siren.

I had all the clips broken up but put them all together and was surprised PhotoBucket accepted the file size.

[ame="http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad249/NGTO_PhotoBucket/misc/?action=view&current=BufordDamWaterRelease.mp4"]misc :: BufordDamWaterRelease.mp4 video by NGTO_PhotoBucket - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid940.ph otobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad249%2FNGTO_PhotoBucket% 2Fmisc%2FBufordDamWaterRelease.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file =http%3A%2F%2Fvid940.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad 249%2FNGTO_PhotoBucket%2Fmisc%2FBufordDamWaterRele ase.mp4[/ame]
                          Last edited by SlowStreamer; 02-10-12, 11:08 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes, yes yes! Those are great. That is exactly what I was talking about.

And I thought you all were like my wife and didn't listen to me.

This may save someone having a real bad day. Tailwater releases are nothing to take lightly. Turbines move some water and fast.

Even UPSTREAM of pumpback projects there can be some serious water. Once upon a time I worked on the Russell Dam pumpback project and we sampled fish in the lake above the dam all night during pumpback operations. When they ran the turbines it was like we were on the ocean. We had to wear PFDs and they had COE Ranger boat stationed at the buoy line to rescue any of us if we fell in.

TH
                            "Message received, no reply"

Comment

Thank you, thank you!!

Now if I do get over there this weekend I'll at least know what to expect if the siren sounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X