NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   NGTO Flings (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   "Introduction to Fly Tying" workshop at the Spring Fling! (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96603)

Steve Hudson 02-03-13 03:35 PM

"Introduction to Fly Tying" workshop at the Spring Fling!

Hello folks!

I'm delighted to announce that we'll be offering an "Introduction to Fly Tying" workshop at the Spring Fling this year. Your teacher will be Yours Truly, and it should be an enjoyable time!

This 2.5-hour class, designed for adults and focused youth, will begin promptly at 9:30 a.m. and will run until about noon. We'll meet in the big shed building that's right next to the main Spring Fling activities area.

In this workshop, we'll focus on learning basic techniques that you can then use as you go further into fly tying (but be warned that there is no turning back!) This will get you off on the right foot and will give you skills that you can use to launch yourself into something you'll enjoy for years to come. Along the way we'll tie up several flies that you'll be able to use right away, with special attention to flies that will perform well in northern Georgia during the spring and summer.

I'll provide all materials and tools. However, participants should bring the following:

1) a bottle clear Sally Hansen Hard as Nails nail polish.
2) an empty fly box into which to put your creations!

If you have your own fly tying vise, I encourage you to bring it. If you're getting started, it's great to learn on your own tools! But if you don't have a vise, that's not a problem ... I've got several vises we can use. I should have enough, but if the class gets large I may need to call for loaners!

There's no charge for this class. However, I may put out the donation jar to help cover costs for those whose situation allows.

We'll initially limit class size to six tyers. Please let me know if you'd like to be a part the class -- just post here to indicate your interest. Also, please let me know if you will be using your own tying vise or if I should have one on hand for you to use. That way I'll know what to have on hand in the way of tying and printed materials.

If you have any questions, please drop me a note or give a ring. I hope to see you there!

Best,

Steve

Participant list:
1. Bob Mitchell
2. James Turner
3. Dylan
4. Larry Maynard

Hayseed 02-04-13 03:51 PM

Count me in.

Bob Mitchell

Natefish21 02-05-13 06:34 PM

I'm in, David Dooley

rrumba 02-05-13 08:23 PM

put me down for 2 spots, one for me and one for my son please....

Steve Hudson 02-08-13 08:07 PM

Welcome to the workshop!

Thanks for signing up for the Intro to Fly Tying class at the Spring Fling. We're off to a great start! I'm beginning to put together the materials for the class, and it promises to be a most enjoyable morning.

Please drop me a note if you think of any questions or need any additional info.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Best,

Steve

Dallasflyfisher 03-08-13 05:50 PM

I would like to be included in this as well.
James Turner

rrumba 03-09-13 12:14 AM

Please remove my name and spot from this list. I will be helping with the Dead drift, if i get back early enough i would love to sit in and watch though.

Steve Hudson 03-09-13 08:22 AM

Updated Intro to Fly Tying roster

Good morning all --

I've updated the sign-up roster for the Intro to Fly Tying workshop at the fling (see the top of the thread). More seats at the table!

Thanks!

Best,

Steve

rrumba 03-09-13 04:54 PM

Steve,
Please leave my son Dylan on for the fly tying class, I am the only one that cannot make it. Sorry for the confusion

Steve Hudson 03-22-13 10:41 AM

Last-minute details on our Intro to Fly Tying Class at the Fling!

Just a few hours till the Fling and our "Intro to Fly Tying Class," and I wanted to be sure to touch base with everyone as I'm getting things ready.

Please note that several spots have opened up in the class as people have encountered changes in their schedules. If you'd like to be a part of the class, there are now some places at the table!

We will be meeting in the large shed immediately adjacent to the "Fling Field." We're on the end of the shed near the barbecue smoker.

Next...a few minor housekeeping things:

1) We'll be starting at 9:30 and going till about noon. Please plan on arriving and getting set up by then -- that'll give us plenty of time for the class. Thanks!

2) If you need tying tools to use during the class, please let me know. I'll bring some, but I want to be sure that I have enough. Thanks!

3) Please bring a bottle of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails Clear Nail Polish...we'll use it for head cement on the flies that we tie.

4) I'll have some materials to share with you during the course of our time together. You might want to bring something in which to carry them -- a small plastic tackle box. a small plastic container, or similar works great!.

5) Perhaps most importantly, remember to bring an empty fly box...we'll start filling it right away!

I've been asked if I'll have copies of some of my fly tying books at the Fling. I'm certainly glad to bring them! I'll also bring copies of my newest book, "A Structured Course in Fly Tying," a brand new book (close to 300 pages) that is getting great reviews and comments. It's an ideal book for beginning tyers.

I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow!

Best,

Steve