NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Smith Creek (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115176)

split shot 02-11-18 04:02 PM

Smith Creek
 
Thinking about heading up to fish the Smith Creek DH next weekend. Iíve never fished this stream so I was wondering about the size and depth of the stream as well as structures or patterns to fish. Any advice would help!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StayFly 02-11-18 05:19 PM

I was up there towards the end of January and had a great time fishing 0.5+ miles downstream from the dam. I had luck with size 16-20 hares ears, black stone flies, and zebra midges. I used 1 to 2 split shot to get the flies to depth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sighter 02-11-18 05:58 PM

Hey Ben! I'm pretty sure I met you at the stream restoration at #!%#+=~%\ Creek a summer or two ago.

In terms of size, smiths on average is about 7-10 feet wide and the depth is fairly shallow... although there are deep pools. Basically there are only 2-3 spots where the water is deep enough for you to worry about water getting into your waders. Also, don't be shy to add some weight as already mentioned above.

Structure is abundant there and smiths/DNR added some more access points and structure recently which was a pleasant find. Since the water is relatively short in width it's pretty obvious where you'd find the trout. The hard part is not spooking them and also adjusting your cast or hook set to avoid the overhanging branches. I personally use the bow and arrow cast a lot there.

Patterns are pretty varied. I'd honestly say go with your confidence flies and if those don't work, change weight first before the flies itself. If that doesn't work then change out one of the flies to the exact opposite "type" of fly until you find what works well (think natural imitation vs junk fly, large fly vs small fly, soft hackle vs no soft hackle, etc.) my go to flies there are a heavy glo bug on bottom and a hot spot walts worm.

Don't forget to check in at the lodge after you pass the Dam to get a 5 dollar parking pass unless you have the annual states pass.

Hope this helps and am looking forward to a successful report in the future.

- Sighter




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckman1 02-11-18 06:42 PM

I've had good luck with GR Hares Ear and Peach Eggs on Smiths. Don't overlook the egg, it works!

split shot 02-11-18 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sighter (Post 892408)
Hey Ben! I'm pretty sure I met you at the stream restoration at #!%#+=~%\ Creek a summer or two ago.

In terms of size, smiths on average is about 7-10 feet wide and the depth is fairly shallow... although there are deep pools. Basically there are only 2-3 spots where the water is deep enough for you to worry about water getting into your waders. Also, don't be shy to add some weight as already mentioned above.

Structure is abundant there and smiths/DNR added some more access points and structure recently which was a pleasant find. Since the water is relatively short in width it's pretty obvious where you'd find the trout. The hard part is not spooking them and also adjusting your cast or hook set to avoid the overhanging branches. I personally use the bow and arrow cast a lot there.

Patterns are pretty varied. I'd honestly say go with your confidence flies and if those don't work, change weight first before the flies itself. If that doesn't work then change out one of the flies to the exact opposite "type" of fly until you find what works well (think natural imitation vs junk fly, large fly vs small fly, soft hackle vs no soft hackle, etc.) my go to flies there are a heavy glo bug on bottom and a hot spot walts worm.

Don't forget to check in at the lodge after you pass the Dam to get a 5 dollar parking pass unless you have the annual states pass.

Hope this helps and am looking forward to a successful report in the future.

- Sighter




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



I remember #$&@/%^* creek. Good times. Thank you for the advice I look forward to trying it in the near future!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HILLIS LANIER 02-11-18 09:49 PM

Fished Smith several times over the past few weeks, with pretty good success most of the time. Dredging bottom with all sorts of beaded junk flies, with extra weight if necessary to get them down worked for me. I used a strike indicator most of the time, but also I euro nymphed some, with success both ways. My buddy had good success dry dropping. I probably caught most on hot pink squirmies and green squirmies. Also, caught a bunch on white eggs and green eggs. Caught a few on a green weenie, girdle bug, black wooly, red sucker spawn, yellow and orange sucker spawn, and tan mop. Caught some on copper johns and hares ears. So, caught some on just about everything I threw at them, but again squirmies and eggs fished deep were the most productive. I believe most of the flies that worked were either size 14 or 16, except the girdle bug and wooly buggers were larger. Good luck.

Lumis 02-11-18 11:33 PM

Sounds like they ate everything you threw! I'm taking notes.

Now that i think about it, do beginner friendly flies exist? This may be a dumb question.

splatek16 02-12-18 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benf_74 (Post 892399)
Thinking about heading up to fish the Smith Creek DH next weekend. Iíve never fished this stream so I was wondering about the size and depth of the stream as well as structures or patterns to fish. Any advice would help!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smiths is one of the most fun places to fish: small stream feel, big fish tug! You will have a blast!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sighter (Post 892408)

Don't forget to check in at the lodge after you pass the Dam to get a 5 dollar parking pass unless you have the annual states pass.

Yeah, don't get a ticket! And I agree with all the patterns; you can euro Smith, but I think a dry-drop rig might also be optimal given the warmer weather that's creeping in...

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman1 (Post 892410)
I've had good luck with GR Hares Ear and Peach Eggs on Smiths. Don't overlook the egg, it works!

I concur; especially with stocked fish; the only thing I might add here is vary the color if they aren't taking peach. For whatever reason, I've never caught a fish on peach egg, but have on red, orange, and pink! I mean, that just doesn't make sense....

Also, last DH season, I had some of the most aggressive strikes on a yellow and orange and a pink and red Y2K - One fish hit so hard it just bit right through my tippet....
I also like a pheasant tail, frenchie - I've had great success (last year) with that fly just dead drifting right into their noses.

Since Smith is fishing well it means there has been a fair bit of pressure up there; don't be afraid to add a little life to your flies. Dance a stone, wiggle a worm, entice a bite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumis (Post 892425)
Sounds like they ate everything you threw! I'm taking notes.

Now that i think about it, do beginner friendly flies exist? This may be a dumb question.

I'll let others chime in about "good beginners flies" but will say that I DO NOT think midges are good beginner flies. The fish will certainly eat the heck out of them, but the hook being so small means that setting it becomes difficult. I am still struggling with midge sets.

trout1980 02-12-18 01:14 PM

Don't overlook San Juan worm patterns for DH fish as well

Lumis 02-13-18 04:57 PM

I too plan on going to smith soon. Followed some advice from all Smith posts I found and bought a few flies.

https://m.imgur.com/a/WTVuj

Hopefully enough to catch my first trout or two on the fly. :cross:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved