NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   Beyond Georgia (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Tennessee or North Carolina Help (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114385)

Riffle 10-05-17 09:59 AM

Need TN or NC float trip advice

The wife and I are looking for a float trip the week of Thanksgiving. Would also like to incorporate day hiking along with fishing opportunities. We floated the "Tuck" towards the end of the season, but other ideas :huh:

Need recommendations for places to stay/eat that are dog friendly !

If a PM is better, I appreciate the help.

Thanks All :cheers:

Arden

1908 10-05-17 10:29 AM

might be able to help you after this coming week

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riffle (Post 885336)
The wife and I are looking for a float trip the week of Thanksgiving. Would also like to incorporate day hiking along with fishing opportunities. We floated the "Tuck" towards the end of the season, but other ideas :huh:

Need recommendations for places to stay/eat that are dog friendly !

If a PM is better, I appreciate the help.

Thanks All :cheers:

Arden

Hey Arden,

I am actually heading up to Lake Nantahala for a week starting tomorrow. Rented a place on the lake through vrbo so if details on that interest you at all I can give you some feedback after my stay.

I plan on doing some hiking/fishing up in the Deep Creek and Indian Creek areas while I am there. Also plan on meeting up with Drifter to float the Tuck depending on the Generation schedule and weather. If that does not work out we will hit some wild streams. May hit some of the better known places around Cherokee as well depending on time.

Hopefully I will have some good info to pass on when I get back. In the meantime, maybe shoot Drifter a PM as well. He has a place up that way and can probably offer a lot of good intel.

:cheers:
Michael

JOHNKIES 10-05-17 09:17 PM

Headwaters Outfitters

Contact Headwaters Outfitters just outside Rosman NC and they may be able to help you all the way around ... dogs and all!

ffaddict 10-06-17 07:43 AM

Nantahala

You should contact Ken at Endless River Adventures and fly fish the Nantahala. I did it this summer with a friend and we had a great time. We caught many rainbows, a few brookies, and some small browns. Ken is the owner and guide. He has fished the river for over 25 years. If you have never euro nymph, you will learn since it is the only way to effectively fish it while floating from a raft.

I would also check out the Cheoah River for small mouth. Its very cool river and the fishing is awesome. If you time it right when they are releasing water, you could do a guided white water trip. You need to have experience running class III-IV water to go.

Ken is a really cool guy and his dog probably the smartest animal that I have ever seen.

Phone: 828-488-6199
Toll Free: 800-224-7238
info@endlessriveradventures.com

Riffle 10-06-17 11:35 AM

RE:

Appreciate all the info so far...just looking for my wife to catch a some fish ( She does not like to wade ). :bang:

Our trips have not produced the best results so far, but the journey is the great part.

Best of luck Michael....looking forward to a lot of pics.

DM6156 10-17-17 03:48 PM

Traveled a fair bit with my dogs and always found good places on VRBO.

If you've never traveled before with pets, there are usually added fees for pets and some places have restrictions.

Another cost to keep in mind is the cost of licenses. Compare TN vs NC for the type of fishing you plan on doing...

- DM

natureman 10-17-17 04:01 PM

Fished the upper Tellico River in TN last week and did pretty well. Saw lots of places to rent in Tellico Plains.

1908 10-18-17 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riffle (Post 885391)
Appreciate all the info so far...just looking for my wife to catch a some fish ( She does not like to wade ). :bang:

Our trips have not produced the best results so far, but the journey is the great part.

Best of luck Michael....looking forward to a lot of pics.

Hey Arden,

sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Got back in town this past Saturday and have not had a chance to put up a TR yet. We were really happy overall with the place we rented through VRBO. It was on Lake Nantahala about 15 miles west of Andrews NC. If you are interested in the listing shoot me a PM and I can send you their link.

It was really close to the DH section of the Nantahala. Plenty of places to pull over and fish. I got my GF fishing for the first time and this was a good place to start. NC DNR just started stocking 2 weeks ago. Fishing early on was slow due to the river getting riled up from TS Nate moving through Sunday but it settled down.

One area to check out for wading and hiking that we hit that I would highly recommend would be the Fires Creek rim trail. The first couple of miles are DH water also but if you move up along the trail you will eventually lose most of the fishing traffic. the trail runs along the creek but you would have to cross the river at times to stay on the trail. If your wife is not a big fan of wading, she would just have to deal with these crossings but then you can find plenty of spots to work from the edges. Saw lots of fish and hooked a few. I spent more time trying to "teach" my GF than fishing myself but it was a place I will definitely explore more in future trips. Highlight of that day was having a bear cub dart out in front of us on a FS road we used to get to the entrance. Always cool to see them up there.

Deep Creek and Indian Trail just outside of Bryson City may also be worth looking in to as well. Met up with Drifter there one morning to check it out. Lots of foot traffic at the main parking area and along the first stretch of the walking path but it thins out as you get up the trail a bit.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. I will get around to posting a TR sooner or later. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any other questions.