NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Fun on the Toccoa (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115871)

Prowler 05-13-18 10:34 PM

Fun on the Toccoa
 
I had a great weekend on the river. Sighter came up to visit Saturday and Marius came up for a visit on Sunday. I caught good numbers of trout and my personal best toccoa tailwater brookie. I did have an uninvited guest that decided to come say hello as you will see in the first few pics. He gave me a scare but luckily he was as afraid of me as I was of him. Here are some pics. Thanks again for coming up Sighter and Marius. I enjoyed it.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/950/2...786af10a_h.jpgSnapshot(1) by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/980/2...12f89ec6_h.jpgSnapshot2 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/904/4...42d69ba6_h.jpgSnapshot3 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/829/2...0fccc922_h.jpgSnapshot4 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/965/4...9234453f_k.jpg20180513_124200 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/831/4...5b131b3d_k.jpg20180513_115200 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/947/2...08e1653e_k.jpg20180512_183532 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/966/2...ac86cdb1_k.jpg20180512_170149 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/828/4...e4419c4e_k.jpg20180512_162105 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/947/4...6b8d0fe8_k.jpg20180512_153411 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/967/2...fae2c060_k.jpg20180512_162054 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Sighter 05-14-18 11:26 AM

Kevin! I had a great time Saturday, thank you so much for letting me experience your side of paradise for a day. Those toccoa bows made it hard to leave haha. Looking forward to fishing together sometime soon!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prowler 05-14-18 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sighter (Post 898067)
Kevin! I had a great time Saturday, thank you so much for letting me experience your side of paradise for a day. Those toccoa bows made it hard to leave haha. Looking forward to fishing together sometime soon!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anytime John. It was fun.

orey10m 05-14-18 03:59 PM

"Yikes" Is right on the snake..

You fishing out of some sort of boat in those pictures?

Not that you asked, but I've been trying to get better about learning to ID snakes in the last couple years, and from the looks of it that's a banded watersnake. What do you think?
Any other snake IDers out there can confirm/deny?

..I was going off the bands on its back being wider on the top than on the sides.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Prowler 05-14-18 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orey10m (Post 898083)
"Yikes" Is right on the snake..

You fishing out of some sort of boat in those pictures?

Not that you asked, but I've been trying to get better about learning to ID snakes in the last couple years, and from the looks of it that's a banded watersnake. What do you think?
Any other snake IDers out there can confirm/deny?

..I was going off the bands on its back being wider on the top than on the sides.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure. Im not good at identifying snakes. I was wading and he was swimming right at me which was not fun regardless what kind of snake he was lol

erikclymore 05-14-18 06:24 PM

I guess I had his uppity metro Atlanta cousin swim by me in the hooch Friday evening. I had just released a bow and looked up to see him 2’ upstream of me. I was in some slack water right next to a pretty swift run. Thankfully he got swept away. That’s the second time that’s happened to me in a year.
And don’t even get me started on the soft ball sized prehistoric mutant tarantula that tried to climb on me to get out of the current!

Awesome to see that you’re getting settled in. I’m curious is the kayak and tube hatch as thick up there as it is in the hooch?

GoutUnlimited 05-14-18 08:04 PM

Nice report...Since your're a toccoa beach front property owner its only right to get a flare gun to shoot at tubers and yakers and yell "Don't feed my fish!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by orey10m (Post 898083)
"Yikes" Is right on the snake..

You fishing out of some sort of boat in those pictures?

Not that you asked, but I've been trying to get better about learning to ID snakes in the last couple years, and from the looks of it that's a banded watersnake. What do you think?
Any other snake IDers out there can confirm/deny?

..I was going off the bands on its back being wider on the top than on the sides.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Saw me one last year thinking it was a copperhead cuz its had somewhat a big diamond shaped head but I think it just had something in its gullet so it looked bigger than it actually was. It was sunbathing right next to where I put my rod down without looking first then saw it there mid tinkle. From what I was assured, its a banded watersnake as copperheads tend to be fatter at that length.

Prowler 05-14-18 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikclymore (Post 898085)
I guess I had his uppity metro Atlanta cousin swim by me in the hooch Friday evening. I had just released a bow and looked up to see him 2í upstream of me. I was in some slack water right next to a pretty swift run. Thankfully he got swept away. Thatís the second time thatís happened to me in a year.
And donít even get me started on the soft ball sized prehistoric mutant tarantula that tried to climb on me to get out of the current!

Awesome to see that youíre getting settled in. Iím curious is the kayak and tube hatch as thick up there as it is in the hooch?

Actually I dont think I have seen any tubers at all so far on my stretch. There are quite a few kayakers depending on the day but I would say no where near the hatches you see at Buford dam. Also they have all been polite and have made sure to pass on the opposite side of the river as to not disturb the run I am fishing. I'm not used to that. I'm used to kayaks running into me on the hooch lol

Gout i hope you are right and it was just a water snake. Either way i wanted nothing to do with him. He was too close for comfort especially considering that he came from behind me and almost went through my legs!!! :eek:

WPrich 05-14-18 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 898089)
Gout i hope you are right and it was just a water snake. Either way i wanted nothing to do with him. He was too close for comfort especially considering that he came from behind me and almost went through my legs!!! :eek:

I think its a banded water snake since moccasins, copperheads, and other vipers are usually very thick bodied especially at that length. I'm the same way man, snakes are one thing I don't want any part of. For that snake to come from behind man I'd have probably filled my waders up and i'm not talking about with water!

Prowler 05-14-18 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikclymore (Post 898085)
I guess I had his uppity metro Atlanta cousin swim by me in the hooch Friday evening. I had just released a bow and looked up to see him 2í upstream of me. I was in some slack water right next to a pretty swift run. Thankfully he got swept away. Thatís the second time thatís happened to me in a year.
And donít even get me started on the soft ball sized prehistoric mutant tarantula that tried to climb on me to get out of the current!

Awesome to see that youíre getting settled in. Iím curious is the kayak and tube hatch as thick up there as it is in the hooch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WPrich (Post 898095)
I think its a banded water snake since moccasins, copperheads, and other vipers are usually very thick bodied especially at that length. I'm the same way man, snakes are one thing I don't want any part of. For that snake to come from behind man I'd have probably filled my waders up and i'm not talking about with water!

Indeed. I didnt realize he had come from behind until I got home and watched the video. He must have been on or in the log i was propping on. He didnt cause me to leave the run though :) I pulled 3 fish out of that run after he had made his way to the bank :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved