NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fishing Tips and Techniques (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Bank fishing for trout in rivers or streams (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113882)

richf7 07-20-17 12:19 PM

Bank fishing for trout in rivers or streams

I'm not as nimble on my feet as I once was and don't feel confident wading through even slow moving bodies of water anymore.

Can anyone give me advice on easily accessible trout rivers/streams in North GA with easy to fish shorelines? I've tried a couple of stocked lakes and haven't had any luck yet and would be using spinning instead of fly tackle.

Thanks in advance!

Upstream 07-20-17 04:43 PM

Spinning gear should make it pretty easy to find spots to fish. Any trout stream that has a road along it, cruise along, and when you see a spot that looks to match your idea of accessible, get out and fish. If a few yards above or below that spot look dicey, get back in the car and cruise some more. The Tallulah quickly comes to mind, and the Toccoa at Horseshoe Bend Park has a lot of access from it's parking lot, if that's a more convenient location.

richf7 07-20-17 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upstream (Post 881617)
Spinning gear should make it pretty easy to find spots to fish. Any trout stream that has a road along it, cruise along, and when you see a spot that looks to match your idea of accessible, get out and fish. If a few yards above or below that spot look dicey, get back in the car and cruise some more. The Tallulah quickly comes to mind, and the Toccoa at Horseshoe Bend Park has a lot of access from it's parking lot, if that's a more convenient location.

Thanks for the info, Upstream. I'm driving up to the Coosawattee near Ellijay tomorrow. Some websites say there are trout while others say just bass, bream, etc. If nothing else it's 5 degrees cooler!

Windknot 07-20-17 05:39 PM

Having described your personal mobility issues, I am reluctant to send you on a potential wild goose chase. With the arrival of Summer, water options become somewhat challenged.

Upstream gave the best advice, in my opinion. For a specific site, try the Chattahoochee in the Helen, GA area.

Don't be discouraged by the responses. Just stay safe, and have fun.

In cooler weather your options will increase!

Windknot 07-20-17 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richf7 (Post 881622)
Thanks for the info, Upstream. I'm driving up to the Coosawattee near Ellijay tomorrow. Some websites say there are trout while others say just bass, bream, etc. If nothing else it's 5 degrees cooler!

I would expect bream and bass. Possibly, a Nice bass!

richf7 07-20-17 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windknot (Post 881623)
Having described your personal mobility issues, I am reluctant to send you on a potential wild goose chase. With the arrival of Summer, water options become somewhat challenged.

Upstream gave the best advice, in my opinion. For a specific site, try the Chattahoochee in the Helen, GA area.

Don't be discouraged by the responses. Just stay safe, and have fun.

In cooler weather your options will increase!

Thanks for the info. I've fished for a long time (not N. GA.) and understand these are the dog days. Hopefully in the next couple of months I'll learn enough to know where to go before next summer rolls around.

The Ole Man 07-20-17 08:01 PM

Go to Vogel State Park and fish in the lake there. Trout were stocked in the lake until July 4. Might be some left in the cool bottom depths. If not, there are some chunky bass and bluegill in there. There is a fishing pier /dock also. Trout are stocked in the winter and up til July. $5 parking. http://gastateparks.org/Vogel

Brotherbear 07-21-17 10:33 AM

Rock Creek Lake has a good stock of trout with good bank access

The Snag Whisperer 07-21-17 12:28 PM

What about lake Winfield Scott? They have a nice big dock to fish from. Also, PM incoming.

richf7 07-22-17 01:52 PM

So I went to the Coosawattee in Ellijay yesterday. There is a county park on the river with limited access. My first cast with a red wiggler I hooked what I thought was a small largemouth. For the next couple of hours I caught four of his much smaller siblings. After looking more closely I wasn't sure if it was a LM or not and took the below picture.

The waiter was clear but pretty warm...probably too warm for trout. There didn't seem to be one in the vicinity. I got a lot of bites but couldn't manage to land one regardless of the different sizes of hooks I used. They were probably just more fish the size of this monster.

By the way, objects in this picture are smaller than they appear. The knife is 5" long.:D

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b9&oe=59FFA35B