NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask the Experts (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Letís talk flyline (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114739)

aknezo 11-26-17 04:25 PM

Letís talk flyline
 
So I got a good deal on a new 8wt setup and am looking into flyline. I havenít gotten into the bass/striper fly game until now so I was wondering what most people use for fly line, either floating or intermediate. I know you can tie on heavier flies to get deeper but is one better than the other in most situations? Iíd mostly be fishing in the hooch and Lanier.

ferrulewax 11-26-17 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aknezo (Post 888300)
So I got a good deal on a new 8wt setup and am looking into flyline. I haven’t gotten into the bass/striper fly game until now so I was wondering what most people use for fly line, either floating or intermediate. I know you can tie on heavier flies to get deeper but is one better than the other in most situations? I’d mostly be fishing in the hooch and Lanier.

Both Floating and intermediate lines have their place- But if I could only have one, I would choose a floating line. Then, if you need your flies deeper, you can use a longer fluorocarbon leader to help assist your flies sinking. For stripers, tying heavy flies isn't a great option, because it can sink the fly out of the strike zone too quickly- you'll find lots of your eats are when the fly is motionless, sinking slowly or suspending.
Basically, a Floating line is much more versatile than an intermediate. Particularly if you also wish to fish for large mounths or shoal bass during other parts of the year.

Some of my my favorite lines for striper fishing are the SA Titan long, Titan, Clear Tip Titan (intermediate), Cortland 444 Big Fly, and Cortland Intermediate Blitz.

We've got a huge selection of SA lines in the shop- including some great lines for stripers, as well as cortland lines. If there is anything you'd like to look at ordering we'd be happy to do that as well.

aknezo 11-26-17 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrulewax (Post 888306)
Both Floating and intermediate lines have their place- But if I could only have one, I would choose a floating line. Then, if you need your flies deeper, you can use a longer fluorocarbon leader to help assist your flies sinking. For stripers, tying heavy flies isn't a great option, because it can sink the fly out of the strike zone too quickly- you'll find lots of your eats are when the fly is motionless, sinking slowly or suspending.
Basically, a Floating line is much more versatile than an intermediate. Particularly if you also wish to fish for large mounths or shoal bass during other parts of the year.

Some of my my favorite lines for striper fishing are the SA Titan long, Titan, Clear Tip Titan (intermediate), Cortland 444 Big Fly, and Cortland Intermediate Blitz.

We've got a huge selection of SA lines in the shop- including some great lines for stripers, as well as cortland lines. If there is anything you'd like to look at ordering we'd be happy to do that as well.

Awesome! That's sort of what I was thinking. I like the idea of having both an intermediate and a floating line but I think I'll probably end up with a floating line with a short taper to start off. The majority of the places I'm fishing all the action is right up near the surface anyway so it kind of makes sense to go with that. I also think with the shorter taper floating line one of Rio's versileaders in a smaller sink rate like 1.5-3 ips would work well to get just a bit deeper.

JoshKimchi 11-26-17 11:50 PM

You may want to start w a sinking line since itís getting to be winter and fish will def be deeper. Rio outbound short is my favorite

JOHNKIES 11-27-17 08:45 AM

Two Cents
 
My two cents worth follows great advice so far speaking to the floating line as the best option if you have only one line. But. You see the ads for extra spools so get two lines! Not a lot of people do this but I have come to see all of this as a time to money equation. For most of us, time on the water is very scarce and we need to take maximum advantage of that scarce resource. So if a sinking link can change a so-so or skunked day into a great day, then the extra investment is well worth it.

Also be aware of line variations to conditions. For example, my first 8wt had a salt water line on it and the idea was to chase inshore redfish and trout. But come spring and a chance to fish a private bass pond was a disaster as that salt water line was so stiff and coiled in the cold you could barely cast it!

Make wise choices!

wtbfishin 11-27-17 11:51 AM

If I had only one I'd definitely go with floating and a cheap alternative to have both is to buy a sink tip you can loop on the your floating line :). Floating lines are less work to use than sinking lines for me.
My experience with sink lines has been the faster they sink the more of a pain they are to cast and pick up to recast.
Like previously said, sounds like you'll want a line that performs best in colder water.
I have salt lines designated as cold & tropical water and I have started my change out as the water here yesterday showed 60 degrees on the bottom machine.
I also really liked RIO lines, but have recently purchased some micro thin lines from Sunray Fly Fish and found them superior to anything I've thrown in the past, I've tried several of the big name lines and thought RIO was the way to go until now.
They out cast RIO shorts for distance and the thin line lands more like a leader than a bomb, compared to that big fat headed RIO short. I had to try it to believe it but I'm sold now!

aknezo 11-27-17 07:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went with a floating line for now and bought a full set of Rioís Versileaders to test out. I went with the Rio outbound short since Iíve heard nothing but great things from the people whoíve used it and since the shooting style short head will be better suited for the versileaders. I also read a few articles about how the outbound short is one of the best suited lines for a sage one so I think Iíll be well equipped. I think two setups (floating/intermediate) is a good idea down the line but hopefully for now my ghetto rigged floating like with sink tips will work just fine to catch some of the guys.

ferrulewax 11-27-17 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aknezo (Post 888368)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went with a floating line for now and bought a full set of Rioís Versileaders to test out. I went with the Rio outbound short since Iíve heard nothing but great things from the people whoíve used it and since the shooting style short head will be better suited for the versileaders. I also read a few articles about how the outbound short is one of the best suited lines for a sage one so I think Iíll be well equipped. I think two setups (floating/intermediate) is a good idea down the line but hopefully for now my ghetto rigged floating like with sink tips will work just fine to catch some of the guys.

Good Choice. I love overweight, aggressive heads for bass and stripers- makes for minimal false casts and more time fishing! Right now for stripers You won't need a sinktip. Fish have been feeding pretty high in the water column and the flies haven't needed to be very deep. However, the sink tips will certainly come in handy.

henryc 12-01-17 08:48 AM

Wished I'd had seen this earlier... I would not opt for a floater for Lanier and the Hooch for stripers and bass. You are MUCH better off with an intermediate and I suggest you get one if you want to be successful on either waterway...

ferrulewax 12-01-17 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henryc (Post 888546)
Wished I'd had seen this earlier... I would not opt for a floater for Lanier and the Hooch for stripers and bass. You are MUCH better off with an intermediate and I suggest you get one if you want to be successful on either waterway...

Really? I'm not questioning your input Henry, believe me, you know a whole lot more about the striper game than I do. But I have been consistently out fished for the past couple weeks by people using floating lines, when I'm throwing an intermediate.

Perhaps the choice of intermediate line is at play here, but I think my intermediate gets the fly too low in the column too quickly. Maybe other intermediates would not behave this way. I'm throwing a cortland compact blitz clear tip.

Are you throwing the intermediate even as fish move shallow through winter?

I'm keen for any information you've got, haha.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved