NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bamboo Fly Rods (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Oyster Make your own (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114789)

eyeflyfish 12-05-17 06:24 PM

Oyster Make your own

Well I signed up the Oyster July 9th class. Any input on what to expect? The info I got said to expect 8-10 hour days. I have never paid to be in prison work camp!

troutbum69 12-05-17 06:34 PM

Man I'm jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyeflyfish 12-05-17 06:55 PM

I'm jealous of your boat. After I make it maybe we can barter time?

Buck Henry 12-05-17 07:16 PM

First off, you will love the experience and you will leave with an amazing bamboo rod that you built yourself. And yes, you are in for some long days that week! The first three days are very physical; lots of splitting and precision stripping to tolerances you would not think are possible. Your hands and arms will be aching for sure. The last three days are more mentally taxing as you bring the rods pieces together and then do all of the painstaking finishing work. Your brain is what will be hurting during this phase. The last day is the best, dipping the rod in varnish and drinking while you wait for it to dry. :)

As Bill is fond of saying, each step in the process is a disaster waiting to happen! But don't fret, they have not lost a student yet!

fishnpreacher 12-05-17 09:16 PM

I've never taken Bill's class, but I have made a couple of rods. It is labor intensive and technical. The wrapping and finish work can get to you, sometimes you just have to put it down and walk off for a few. But as rodmaker Buck says, it is worth it.

And you need to get the nomenclature correct. You build graphite rods. You make cane rods. Learn to be a rod maker.

troutbum69 12-05-17 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeflyfish (Post 888750)
I'm jealous of your boat. After I make it maybe we can barter time?

Absolutely! I've asked for the class for a few christmas' but still come up empty. I'm down with boo and wood boats!

troutbum69 12-05-17 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck Henry (Post 888751)
First off, you will love the experience and you will leave with an amazing bamboo rod that you built yourself. And yes, you are in for some long days that week! The first three days are very physical; lots of splitting and precision stripping to tolerances you would not think are possible. Your hands and arms will be aching for sure. The last three days are more mentally taxing as you bring the rods pieces together and then do all of the painstaking finishing work. Your brain is what will be hurting during this phase. The last day is the best, dipping the rod in varnish and drinking while you wait for it to dry. :)

As Bill is fond of saying, each step in the process is a disaster waiting to happen! But don't fret, they have not lost a student yet!

I haven't built a rod yet, but that description also accurately describes boat building

eyeflyfish 12-06-17 08:17 AM

I appreciate all of the input. So today I will start doing pushups and yoga. Maybe by July I will have the arm strength and "mind set" to finish the week.:D:cross:

AK Pipeline 12-06-17 12:49 PM

great class!

I took the class in July of 2016. You'll have a blast! You have a few folks that perform each task quickly, and a few folks that are very slow. Depending upon your pace, there can actually be a lot of down time, which I found to be perfect for consuming the fine beer they have on tap in the back of the shop (and also for handling work matters). I'm not saying it's easy by any means - my hands cramped a fair bit on some of the tasks, but it's laid back for the most part.
If I could give one bit of advice if would be to take your time on the wrapping and sanding process. I didn't take my time on sanding after doing the wraps, and it shows on the final product. I'm reminded of my mistake every time I take that rod out to fish.

eyeflyfish 12-06-17 01:59 PM

AK,
Sanding the bamboo or sanding between varnishing? Take time meaning finer grit with more sanding or less pressure and more strokes?