NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Information (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Why do I need a $200 fly vice? (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114942)

Ch035 01-01-18 05:09 PM

Why do I need a $200 fly vice?

So like most of us- Iím a gear junkie. Iíve been tying on your standard starter vice and it holds a Hook... what makes a renzetti or similar worth 10x+ more?

Buck Henry 01-01-18 05:36 PM

If your budget entry level vice does the job and makes you happy, then why are you even asking this question? I knew a kid here that tied with a pair of vice grips being held in a work bench tool vise. Pretty rough but it got the job done.

narcodog 01-01-18 06:04 PM

A $200 vise is not a lot when you compare a J Vise or a LAW at about $2K. You can get a very good Renzetti or a Regal for about $130.00.

splatek16 01-01-18 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck Henry (Post 890011)
If your budget entry level vice does the job and makes you happy, then why are you even asking this question? I knew a kid here that tied with a pair of vice grips being held in a work bench tool vise. Pretty rough but it got the job done.

^ This sentiment exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sighter 01-01-18 07:08 PM

I don't have a nice vise, I've been using my trusty cabela's starter kit for a year. However, I find myself wishing for a bobbin cradle, rotary features, material clip, and midge jaws sometimes which are found in higher value vise's.

Naturally_Fly 01-01-18 10:19 PM

I think it depends on what you are wanting to do with your Tying...I tied on a Anvil Apex for 10 years and did great with it, after so long I wanted the an In-line rotary function and upgraded to the Atlas. I would say the best advice is to get what you can afford with the features you want. One reason I stayed with the Anvil vises is that I know they are built to withstand an apocalypse and can tie anything from a 22 midge to 1/0 saltwater with minimal adjustments needed

FishWillie 01-02-18 09:22 AM

Anvil Apex or Atlas (now wolff industries) last vise you'll ever need....
wants are different story :huh:...Will

troutbum69 01-02-18 11:38 AM

I'll second the atlas. I tie size 5/0 all the way to 20 on it. If I didn't bounce around so much though I'd buy a peak with the regular and midge jaws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NetBoy 01-02-18 04:57 PM

more features and convenience. I started with the Cabelas starter kit and now use an old
base Renzetti Traveler. I can tie faster with the Renzetti.

ferrulewax 01-02-18 07:37 PM

With a more expensive vice, you tend to get more features, sure, but I also tend to think they have more refined action, and tend to hold hold the hook a bit better. But my only cheaper vice experience was tying for a long time on a Thomson model A, and some cheap kit vices, so I don't have a ton of experience with cheaper vices.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a peak or a renzetti. I tie 90% of my flies on the peak. But use my traveler as well. In my opinion the peak offers the most vice for the least money. I have yet to talk to a peak owner that doesn't love their vice.