NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (
-   North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports (
-   -   Can the Toccoa tailwater be float fished on your own? (

eyeflyfish 01-02-18 10:08 AM

Can the Toccoa tailwater be float fished on your own?
I recently did a drift boat float on the Toccoa tailwater. We put in about 10 minutes before generation stopped at 11:00am. We got out of the water at Curtis Switch at 5:15pm with dark closing fast.

I am wondering if a person had their own kayak/canoe could this water be fished by yourself. There seemed to be so many fishy places that we went by or didn't spend a lot of time fishing. My concern is not knowing the time frames and distances I could easily be calling for help in the dark.

Any thoughts are appreciated as I was thinking of being in the kayak market before doing this trip. I think I would only attempt if there was another boat/fisherman with me.

Budwick 01-02-18 02:49 PM

I couldn't see why floating by yourself would be a big deal. Just familiarize yourself with the distances and float times between take outs and plan accordingly. I believe if you go on Unicoi Outfitters website, they have the float times already in a graphic on one of their pages.

AK Pipeline 01-02-18 03:20 PM

I've never floated the Toccoa with a Guide, but I've floated it numerous times with other folks and by myself, in various watercraft. The only downside to doing it yourself is if you run into a problem, it can be a little scary. I did it a few years ago in my one man toon and wasn't sure I was going to make it. I developed a leak and didn't have a repair kit. I had to stop every 10-15 minutes and pump up the raft. I spent most of the day with my arse in the water, even though I was sitting in a seat! Thankfully, troutman joe was guiding that day, so I kind of kept him within site distance behind me just in case it got to where I couldn't float at all.
I guess that's a long way of saying you can do it, but probably much better idea to have another person doing the float with (or at least near) you.

fishndoc 01-02-18 09:50 PM

Itís a fairly easy float, but I would definitely wait until late spring to do it from a kayak - longer days and warmer air temps if you take a spill.

I find itís really difficult to fly fish while floating the river from a kayak. I end up focusing more on dealing with my line and float thru the good spots too quickly. So, I usually get out and wade fish, usually with my kayak floating downstream of me clipped to my belt with a short rope.