NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chattahoochee River (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   New Years day float to Settles (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114952)

Budwick 01-02-18 04:18 PM

New Years day float to Settles

CaneBrake and I hit the hooch yesterday in the kayaks. Gorgeous day on the water with basically the whole river to ourselves. The ice wasn't too much of a factor especially with the nymphing setups we were using. The midge activity was crazy with fish rising all over the place. Small midges on the anchor were key in the euro nymphing approach while using a skinny stone on the dropper. We caught a lot of browns with some bows sprinkled in. It was nice to see a healthy stream bred rainbow as well.
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/...ps04ps8ela.png
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8txeiybt.jpg
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/...psldtfre0r.jpg
http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/...psyipc0vkx.jpg

gau16 01-02-18 05:11 PM

Nice fish. Super pretty bow. Don't see those too often.

erikclymore 01-02-18 06:00 PM

You guys are much braver than me. I thought about heading out then I walked out my front door...

splatek16 01-02-18 06:50 PM

Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aardvark 01-02-18 08:05 PM

Unusual coloration and markings on the 'Bow. Are Brownbows possible?

Jakkbauer 01-02-18 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvark (Post 890081)

If so it looks like a good candidate

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sighter 01-02-18 10:56 PM

I haven't heard of a brown/rainbow trout hybrid that has been found in nature but some research shows that some trout farms have created them... very interesting. Ether way great report and thanks for sharing!!

Philhutch80 01-03-18 07:57 AM

None of the pics are showing up @sighter.

Budwick 01-03-18 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philhutch80 (Post 890093)
None of the pics are showing up @sighter.

Something happened to the uploads in photobucket I believe. I will try to fix the issue and get them back up.

Budwick 01-03-18 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvark (Post 890081)

Nahhh it's just a clean wild fish. I've caught bows in some creeks up north that look a lot like this one. They are just few and far between on the hooch.

Dylar 01-03-18 10:23 AM

A whole lot of small wild bows have that yellowish coloration.

Aardvark 01-03-18 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budwick (Post 890096)
Nahhh it's just a clean wild fish. I've caught bows in some creeks up north that look a lot like this one. They are just few and far between on the hooch.

It could be the same stream conditions that account for the buttery browns making stream born and/or classroom trout take on a brownish coloration. That and the relative lack of spots compared to hatchery fish had me wondering about the genetics of the fish. Now, if there were a few red spots on the lateral line near the tail, I would really be curious.

Philhutch80 01-03-18 10:50 AM

It is possible... but HIGHLY unlikely

According to wildtrout.org browns and rainbows have only been successfully crossbred in hatcheries. Some of the other facts in this are interesting like that salmon and trout have crossbred and been recorded.
http://www.wildtrout.org/content/trout-facts

ChaChung 01-03-18 11:55 AM

Nice, man. I'm not brave enough to go floating in this weather. I'll stay close to home and close to the car so I can bail whenever my hands get too cold. haha

browniez 01-03-18 04:04 PM

I've got an interesting theory on the coloration.

Disclaimer layman's logic.

John, Splatek, and Dylar I would enjoy your opinions on my theory.

I feel like the red accents on our browns (the strongest I have ever personally seen), and also perhaps some level of the coloration of stream bred bows, may have something to do with nutrient/pigmentation pass through in the food chain.

Similar in concept to how flamingos assume the pink pigmentation of their food sources. Is there any biological reason this could not occur in trout?

I know color/spot variations tend to run along strain lines to a degree, and are impacted by natural selection.

Given our red clay substrates this seems like it could be somewhat viable, given that there isn't a biological reason that fish cannot exhibit the same principles as a flamingos. Different classes of Phyla Chordata be durned.

This observation is entirely anecdotal as I am going off memory, and I have skipped some geographic areas of the south, but generally I seem to recall rivers in areas that have a more red clay based geology producing more red accent dominant browns.

Philhutch80 01-03-18 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browniez (Post 890117)
I've got an interesting theory on the coloration.

Disclaimer layman's logic.

John, Splatek, and Dylar I would enjoy your opinions on my theory.

I feel like the red accents on our browns (the strongest I have ever personally seen), and also perhaps some level of the coloration of stream bred bows, may have something to do with nutrient/pigmentation pass through in the food chain.

Similar in concept to how flamingos assume the pink pigmentation of their food sources. Is there any biological reason this could not occur in trout?

I know color/spot variations tend to run along strain lines to a degree, and are impacted by natural selection.

Given our red clay substrates this seems like it could be somewhat viable, given that there isn't a biological reason that fish cannot exhibit the same principles as a flamingos. Different classes of Phyla Chordata be durned.

This observation is entirely anecdotal as I am going off memory, and I have skipped some geographic areas of the south, but generally I seem to recall rivers in areas that have a more red clay based geology producing more red accent dominant browns.

The only other rivers I have seen brown trout consistently color up like ours do are from mysis shrimp based fishery. We do not have mysis shrimp here in our system so it has to be a tie into nutrients or temperature of the water source. I do want to hear their opining though.

ChaChung 01-03-18 05:37 PM

I read somewhere that they get the red coloration from eating crustaceans. So like Philhutch posted above... maybe some type of shrimp or cray fish in the diet?

Sighter 01-03-18 06:23 PM

I did hear that crustaceans and types of algae that trout feed on does change their coloration, but I only heard of this in the coloration of their flesh and not the exterior. I honestly don't know if their diet does correlate with exterior coloration but it would be interesting to dive into and very plausible (as you mentioned in your example of flamingos). The only question I would ask is the difference in expression of colors within feathers vs. melanin. In my opinion, it should have to do more with genetics, adaptation, or selection than anything else. I noticed the same bright red spots and coloration on browns in a well-known, small creek, in GA. I am guessing the genetics of whatever strain of browns that were mainly stocked in the Hooch and in the example stream all those years ago, along with hypothetical factors such as mate selection due to coloration, led to such pretty browns.

The red clay hypothesis is interesting too, and in my experience, the depth of the trout does effect coloration as well.

Jakkbauer 01-03-18 07:41 PM

Just to add to what's already being discussed from what I know regarding koi and other aquarium fish...

Premium food gives better colors (exterior). The ingredients are what do the trick. Some of it is crustaceans, some algae and kelp etc. Just read the first five ingredients on a package of premium fish food.

When fish eat cheap food where the first ingredient is wheat or flour their color usually is a bit more subtle. The premium ingredients make it pop. It won't create a new pattern but it will make the existing more vibrant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

troutbum69 01-03-18 11:06 PM

I remember a while back someone cited an article saying there's a chemical in crawfish and other crustaceans that makes the trout/Salmon's meat red. Apparently the chemical is artificially added to farm raised salmon to give them the proper color flesh

Aardvark 01-04-18 12:44 AM

I have caught plenty of bass that are colored like their surroundings, so it makes sense that a trout could do the same thing. You just don't see it as often in Rainbows since most of them are fresh from the hatchery.

FlyFishingMedic 01-04-18 12:17 PM

Trout get those deep colors when they’ve been eating a ton of flies, fish, and crustaceans in the river. The sulfer and nitrogen in the bugs and crustaceans really darken up their colors. Thats why most of the stockers or reasonably recent stockers dont have that deep rich coloring. The pellets they’re fed in the hatchery dont have the same concentrations of nutrients that natural diet has.