NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chattahoochee River (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   My first attempt at fly fishing the Hooch. (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115163)

Lumis 02-08-18 03:31 PM

My first attempt at fly fishing the Hooch.

I'm gonna start this post of by saying this may not be safe for your eyes to read and your mind to comprehend. Your IQ may drop. I'm young and stubborn.

Soooo. I ordered a Cabelas RLS+ Fly Combo a few days ago. Came in last night. I unpackaged it, looked at it, and fell in love. So I told myself I'd go fishing in the morning, a little after the water release.

Now of course, I've watched plenty of fly fishing videos of all types and a few casting tutorials and whatnot. So I thought what the heck, I don't need practice, straight to the river I go.

Having caught a few hundred trout as a spin fisher, I went to one of the spots I know in the DH zone below the 20 Bridge, and set myself up on some large rocks that extend into the river. Plenty of space.

I attached my tippet ring to my leader, and them attached a tippet and fly. A wolly bugger because I have no idea what these fish eat. And attempt to cast a few times. Lose my fly and tippet in 5 minutes. Oh well. Attach another.

Very quickly realize I'm garbage. Can't cast past 20-25 feet. Tangled up my line multiple times. Accidently attach a non reusable splitshot to my leader. Oh no. Tangled up my leader at one point to that point that i could not salvage it. My leader went from 9 feet to 5 feet. I wasnt too excited about that.

Finally gave in to my stubbornness and stupidity. Decided it was time to head home. I'd give today's trip a 8/10. Laughing at my stupidity the whole time made the trip a much better experience. If anyone by any chance got a glimpse of my failure, I apologize. I'm certain any kayaks turned back upstream upon gazing their eyes on me.

So I've learned my lesson. I'll be looking for someone to teach me to cast. I'm not the fishing god I thought myself to be.

splatek16 02-08-18 03:57 PM

That's everybody's first trip
It gets better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djangofly 02-08-18 04:34 PM

Maybe take a class before you pick up too many bad habits?

Orvis does free introductory classes in the summer. I also had a good casting lesson at the Fishhawk for not a lot of money.

Otherwise, as pointed out, that is everyone's first outing so you are probably on the right track.

Step 1: learn to untangle knots

gau16 02-08-18 05:11 PM

Best thing I did with my new fly rod back when I started was to bring it to a big open space at the park and just cast cast and cast.

No pressure, no fish.

Use a leader and attach a indicator at the end to give it a little weight like a fly. Then have at it.

And yeah, everyoneís first trip is like that.

Lumis 02-08-18 05:15 PM

Yeah, I was planning on practicing, but then I got ahead of myself and went anyway. Currently in my backyard, trying to swing back and forth without having it making the tiny cracking noises. It's getting better. I'm having a lot of fun surprisingly.

I'll have to look into the lessons. Maybe find a friend to give me a hand until then.

I'm sure I'll have this down in no time. :)

erikclymore 02-08-18 06:02 PM

Do like everyone else that canít cast and start euro nymphing! :rotfl:

But seriously even once you feel youíve gotten the hang of casting in the yard youíll step onto the river all confident and what not and discover how much more complicated it is when the current starts dragging on your line and all the sudden you have tension in places youíre not used to.
But donít give up. I through the rod down in disgust last year when I first gave it a go because I thought it was just to complicated. I picked it up again around may determined to figure it out. I stuck with it long enough for things to start clicking. I havenít looked back since.

Lumis 02-08-18 06:05 PM

Good news. I was once fishing the pond behind me and a neighbor from a few houses down was too. I just remembered that he mentioned he was a fly fisherman and goes to fish in North Carolina.

Walked over to his house, found him outside, and explained that I had bought a fly rod and could use some help learning to use it. He was happy to help and told me to come by on Saturday.

So I guess I found my lesson. :) I'm excited!

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikclymore (Post 892232)
Do like everyone else that can’t cast and start euro nymphing! :rotfl:

I plan to learn eventually.

Prowler 02-08-18 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikclymore (Post 892232)
Do like everyone else that canít cast and start euro nymphing! :rotfl:

Hey Now!!! What you trying to imply!?!?!?!? :) :huh: :rotfl:

I_got_skunked 02-08-18 09:41 PM

First lesson, never cast far enough to get a tangle. All the fish you ever need to catch can be caught within that range.

Lumis 02-08-18 10:11 PM

I was fishing from the shore so i was trying to get "ultralight with a spinner" distance. Probably not a good idea.

The tangles appeared from attempting to swing the line for too long (like a lasso), and letting it catch itself (and me not stopping to fix it before it got worse). I had line wrapped around my shoulders a few times.

I sure do look forward to this lesson :thinking: