NGTO Message Board

NGTO Message Board (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php)
-   North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Toccoa DH flow rate (http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115356)

eyeflyfish 03-07-18 06:37 AM

Toccoa DH flow rate

Am I correct that the flow rate should be at 350 or below to wade?
I just checked the gauge for "near Dial" and it is showing almost 1000cfs.

Buck Henry 03-07-18 07:22 AM

Yep, that is about right. Anything above 350ish starts to get a bit scary. Attempting to wade at 1,000 would be downright suicidal!

Stick to the Sisson ponds this weekend!

eyeflyfish 03-07-18 07:36 AM

Buck,
I think I am going to try the big one around 2:00 Friday.

FlickNdip 03-07-18 10:30 PM

That's the lowest I've seen it in weeks.

richf7 03-14-18 05:36 PM

I'm confused (which is normal) about safe wading and average discharge on the Lower Toccoa which has been around 1,500 for several days.

I want to go to Horseshoe Bend but apparently it's unsafe above 300 cfs.

Am I misinterpreting the data?

eyeflyfish 03-14-18 06:04 PM

Rich
My interests are in the DH water UPSTREAM of the lake.
Horsehoe Park is downstream of the lake is more regulated by dam releases.

richf7 03-15-18 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richf7 (Post 894482)
I'm confused (which is normal) about safe wading and average discharge on the Lower Toccoa which has been around 1,500 for several days.

I want to go to Horseshoe Bend but apparently it's unsafe above 300 cfs.

Am I misinterpreting the data?

Anybody? :)

Thanks

The Ole Man 03-15-18 11:27 PM

Horseshoe Bend is not in the DH. It is in the tail water below the dam. The flow at Horseshoe depends on the release at the Dam. So the safe wade flow at 300 to 350 doesn't apply to Horseshoe Bend. The 300/350 flow safety is referring to the DH (Delayed Harvest) section of the Toccoa located upstream of Blue Ridge Lake between Sandy Bottom canoe launch and Shallowford Bridge. The confusing thing is that the Toccoa river flows north. We're accustom to Georgia rivers flowing south. When we say the Toccoa above the lake we're actually talking about the Toccoa section south of the lake which we associate with below not above. The Dial Gauge is at the DH which is along Old Dial Road. Go to the "Sponsor Forums" at the bottom here, click on the Unicoi Outfitters Banner. At UO click "Articles". There you can click a Map of the Toccoa DH and a Map of the Toccoa Tail Water below the Dam.

To go to the DH, go north to Blue Ridge, find Aska Road. Go south on Aska Rd untill you see the steel bridge on your left called Shallowford Bridge. Cross the bridge and turn right. The DH begins just above the bridge and goes to just above the Sandy Bottom canoe launch.