View Single Post
Old 12-05-17, 12:11 PM   #17
ferrulewax
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryc View Post
Jackson,

You are getting out fished simply because your counterparts are better at feeding the fish. It's the sad reality of striper fishing. Your partner up at Unicoi I guarantee would be fishing an intermediate as well. There are lots of questions that need answering as there is not just one simple answer as to why you are not feeding fish as well as your counterparts. Are you fishing an intermediate with a fluoro leader? If so, why not fish it with mono if you think the fish are feeding higher in the water column. Are you tossing a fly that just doesn't catch many fish (like an Efly)? - back atcha FM
A weightless fly like a polar fiber minnow might do the trick instead of a Clouser or somethin' else. As for someone asking about line pick up on a shallow flat... I like the outbound short in an F/I combo. That has been my go to line. That is what is fun about sodium free stripers...they ain't easy. In conclusion, might I suggest sticking with a floating line for pellet fed trout

Henry
Haha! Henry, I'm not so convinced that my co-fisherman is any better than me at feeding striper. It's my old man!

I'm throwing a gray and white polar fiber fly tied weightless on a size 6 Partridge attitude extra. (With a flurofiber collar ) -just like the one my partner stole from my box. I am also throwing it on an SA hard mono leader with flurocarbon tippet. I've broke down my system pretty well.

In an effort to save what little self respect I still have for my striper skills, I am going to blame it on my intermediate line sinking too quickly. I think I'll grab an SA clear tip, and see how it compares, then go from there.

Thanks for the help

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote