View Single Post
Old 12-10-17, 01:07 PM   #1
Trouter23's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,804
Default Smith in the snow

For a few weeks now, I had plans to fish Smith this past Friday. The forecast for snow didn't change those plans.

In short, it was spectacular. The scenery was beautiful, the solitude was peaceful, the catching was fun, and the overall experience was something special.

It was noon and snowing when I first arrived at the Lodge to sign in. The roads were starting to collect snow. I parked under the parking deck in order to get dressed without getting snowed on. Pulling out of the parking deck area back up to the main area by the Lodge, the rear end of my truck started to barely slip a little, so I decided to park in the gravel parking area right beside the dam at the top, in case the road out of the parking lot by the field got too slick right there at the hill at the stop sign. I did wonder, though, if the roads are already slick, what will they be like when I come off the stream? Then, realizing that I was at a warm lodge, I figured, worst case scenario, I'm sleeping on the couch by the fireplace in the lodge. So, of course, I went fishing.

I walked across the road and down the steeeep hill I went - on my feet, amazingly. I figured that with felt-bottomed boots, I would for sure be sliding down on my rear end. But, somehow, I managed to stay upright. When I got down to the bottom, I crossed the creek, which immediately got me up to my hips in water. Thankfully, no leaks in my waders.

I walked downstream and to the big field to see how it looked, and the parking lot had one truck in it. Sweet.

The big field was covered in inches of snow. I walked across it, seemingly putting the first footprints in it of the day.

When I got to where I wanted to begin the day, I was into fish within a few casts. I went into the day expecting low numbers and looking forward to the challenge. Throughout the day, though, I was pleasantly surprised. The acclimatization that Dredger spoke of in his latest article apparently hadn't hit these fish yet. They were starving, and energetic, including aerial acrobatics from a few of them. As for which flies I was using, I simply followed Dredger's advice from his latest report - and, boy did it pay off.

Next four shots are of same fish.

As the day went on, the snow let up. But, around 3:30PM or so, it started snowing so heavily and got so dark that my strike detection went to almost zero. After bouncing a few fish because I couldn't even see my brightly colored sighter, I called it a day.

And yes, I made it home . . . eventually. The drive home that normally takes 2 1/2 hours, took 5 hours that night. But, thank God, I made it home safe and sound to my own warm bed that night.
I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
-Lefty Kreh

Last edited by Trouter23; 12-10-17 at 06:29 PM.
Trouter23 is offline   Reply With Quote