View Single Post
Old 12-14-17, 06:41 PM   #8
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
Totally agree with this as Iím sure Kyle didnít mean to come across as elitist by his statement. I fly fish but I also conventional tackle fish because I try to optimize my opportunities to catch fish. Whatever works for you and makes you happy style-wise do it!!!
^^^^^^^^^
THIS!!!

That is so wonderful to read from someone on the message boards here. We're known as North Georgia Trout Online. We're not North Georgia Fly Fishing Online. Although the majority of our members are fly anglers, we're all about catching trout by whatever legal method one may choose to employ.

I started out with an ultralight spinning set-up when I first hit the 'Hooch in a canoe with my wife. It was wonderful! We caught all kinds of trout and had a wonderful time. Eventually I had to try this fly fishing thing that everyone seemed to be so excited about. I truly sucked at it for an overly long time, but eventually I got the hang of it to a small degree.

I now fish for trout exclusively with a fly rod just because of the more intimate connection with the fish, but I would be in the wrong to declare someone to be a lesser angler than me because of their choice of conventional rod and reel over a fly rod. The fun and enjoyment is had in catching the fish, however you choose to do it, as long as it's legal.

Thanks for mentioning this, Phil. Every once in awhile it's nice to be reminded that you don't have to be a fly angler to fully enjoy catching trout. And as another point, please keep in mind that not all of us fly anglers are snobby elitists. We're in north Georgia. Most of us are redneck, hill-billy, or just plain rubes. (Except for RScott, Buck Henry, GatorByte, and a couple other high-falutin' snobs who only sip the finest scotch - neat - while on the river. :ke
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote