Old 12-14-17, 11:43 PM   #19
Philhutch80
Native

Default Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
^^^^^^^^^
THIS!!!

That is so wonderful to read from someone on the message boards here. We're known as North Georgia Trout Online. We're not North Georgia Fly Fishing Online. Although the majority of our members are fly anglers, we're all about catching trout by whatever legal method one may choose to employ.

I started out with an ultralight spinning set-up when I first hit the 'Hooch in a canoe with my wife. It was wonderful! We caught all kinds of trout and had a wonderful time. Eventually I had to try this fly fishing thing that everyone seemed to be so excited about. I truly sucked at it for an overly long time, but eventually I got the hang of it to a small degree.

I now fish for trout exclusively with a fly rod just because of the more intimate connection with the fish, but I would be in the wrong to declare someone to be a lesser angler than me because of their choice of conventional rod and reel over a fly rod. The fun and enjoyment is had in catching the fish, however you choose to do it, as long as it's legal.

Thanks for mentioning this, Phil. Every once in awhile it's nice to be reminded that you don't have to be a fly angler to fully enjoy catching trout. And as another point, please keep in mind that not all of us fly anglers are snobby elitists. We're in north Georgia. Most of us are redneck, hill-billy, or just plain rubes. (Except for RScott, Buck Henry, GatorByte, and a couple other high-falutin' snobs who only sip the finest scotch - neat - while on the river. :ke
@Swampy, I’m not far from you with where I started trout fishing long ago. Ultralight setups and 2lb test were the way to go. Same things I used once I started back up in 2016. I was blessed with meeting Alex couple days after he caught the beast on video from last summer and it’s been like a light went off! I forgot how cathartic and fun it is! It’s exciting to learn different styles and techniques and blend them and make them your own. If you set goals and fish towards them they can happen!
Oh and btw, this hillbilly will gladly take a swill on that neat scotch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbailey729 View Post
Some awesome fish caught in 2017. Congrats guys. I would be more than happy to catch one of the beasts y’all pulled this year.

Let’s not get it twisted though, even with the more realistic streamers these days there are still vast differences in fly fishing and spin fishing. Neither one is necessarily better than the other and no reason to fight over which is the best. Do what you enjoy and hopefully you catch fish. If not, at least you’re still doing something you love
In my time in Montana in spring and summer of this year and speaking with some of the innovators we look up to and they brought up these exact points of how even if you separate the two disciplines, they end up through natural evolution merging back together. What they were most impressed by was the ways that the youth of today are taking ideas and turning them on their heads and making styles of fishing all their own. It’s also refining techniques and bringing much needed youth and eyes. It’s fun catching these fish and it’s also a blast passing knowledge along and seeing other anglers have success as well. Love your comment,”Do what you enjoy and hopefully you catch fish. If not at least you are doing something you love”

#JBNavy
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote