View Single Post
Old 12-27-17, 01:17 PM   #14
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
43 degrees for the lake seems to be the magic number from reading up on various sources. When was the last recorded shad kill on the river you all can remember? Would like to go back and see what the weather conditions leading up to it were( i.e. how many days of cold and how intense was the cold).
I don't keep track of fishing info like a data recorder. I am more of a big picture thinker when it comes to fishing, paying attention to trends, cycles, patterns, etc. I think some data is important, but that there are many factors that affect trends and cycles that are not necessarily able to be captured in a few data points, and trying to make everything be data driven will lead you to bad conclusions. I think this is where gut feelings and intuition come into play in fishing, and helps explain why a few fisherman are better than most.

I do like to be very attentive to what is happening when I am on the water, but I don't go and write things down, like in logs, after, it just goes in the ole memory bank between my ears. Thanks god my memory never fails me

Having said all that, the last good shad kill I remember was 4 or 5 years ago, but that may be because it has been that long since I was heavy into the trout game. Stripers are my passion now.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote