View Single Post
Old 12-27-17, 05:28 PM   #16
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I don't keep track of fishing info like a data recorder. I am more of a big picture thinker when it comes to fishing, paying attention to trends, cycles, patterns, etc. I think some data is important, but that there are many factors that affect trends and cycles that are not necessarily able to be captured in a few data points, and trying to make everything be data driven will lead you to bad conclusions. I think this is where gut feelings and intuition come into play in fishing, and helps explain why a few fisherman are better than most.

I do like to be very attentive to what is happening when I am on the water, but I don't go and write things down, like in logs, after, it just goes in the ole memory bank between my ears. Thanks god my memory never fails me

Having said all that, the last good shad kill I remember was 4 or 5 years ago, but that may be because it has been that long since I was heavy into the trout game. Stripers are my passion now.

FM
FM, I am right there with you in trying to take an overall big picture view of how everything ties in. Data helps but again it is only a small piece of the puzzle. Four to five years ago sounds about right from what others have mentioned as well. I do not recall you posting anything but striper related material for awhile. I could only imagine how many anglers would be in heaven if a shad kill went all the way down past morgan falls. Thanks for the info.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote