Thread: Colored beads?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-18, 12:20 PM   #18
Dave375
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I used to think a successful day was all about having the "hot fly" for the day but over the years I have changed my way of thinking and I honestly think that the weight of the fly and fly presentation is more important than the fly itself. This dawned on my one day at the dam when I was fishing a golden rubber legged stone fly pattern that I had been killing them on over the previous weeks. I was fishing it with a bead with no luck. All I did was switch to the same exact pattern with no bead that was a little lighter in weight and I couldn't keep it in the water. Don't get me wrong I do have my favorite patterns or my "confidence patterns" that I like to use and that I seem to have success with day in and day out but I feel that weight is the most important. In George Daniel's book "Dynamic Nymphing" Joe Humphreys talks about fishing with George Harvey one day and George Harvey was killing it. Joe couldn't catch a fish and couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally George Harvey gave him one of the exact flies he was using and Joe thought "Now I am gonna start wearing them out like George has been doing". He still wasn't catching anything. Finally he realized that it was the tuck cast that George was doing that was getting his flies down deeper that was making all the difference. He started doing that and started catching fish after fish just like George. I would love to have every color tungsten bead in every size available but I would be divorced, homeless, and living in a van down by the river. That's why I tie most of my nymphs/midges on black, copper and silver for most of them. I guess it all boils down to what your budget can support. Now if I know a fly is successful with say a purple tungsten bead, then I will likely get a package of them. I just don't see ordering a bunch of purple tungsten to experiment with. I would rather spend that money on copper, silver or black but that is just me.
Great post! For whatever reason it's easy for me to change colors and patterns, controlling depth through different feeding zones is something I still need to be reminded of continually.
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote