View Single Post
Old 02-13-18, 12:14 PM   #1
pathfisher
Native

Default Toccoa tailwater

I want to apologize in advance as this topic has been beaten to death in the past, but I still wanted to get some advice to make me feel a little better.

I am staying on the Toccoa this weekend, in a cabin midway between the dam and Curtis Switch. I am bringing a kayak along with me to do some fishing. Not yet sure if I am going to do a point-to-point float trip, or just paddle upstream from my cabin and float back. I have been on the river around the time of a release and I know it is not a place I want to be while on a kayak.

With this plan in mind, I have been observing the flows from the Blue Ridge dam over the past week or so. I have yet to get a good feel for the regularity of the releases. Some days the releases have been in the morning, some in the afternoon, some overnight. For example, today (2/13) they have been releasing all morning, but yesterday (2/12) they only released from 6pm to 8pm. In addition to this, the TVA release hotline said they were only generating from 12pm-1pm today (which based on the current observed data is not accurate).

Does anyone have a better feel for the release schedule? Is it more regular on weekends? At this moment, I feel like it is a coin flip on whether they are going to release or not.
pathfisher is offline   Reply With Quote