View Single Post
Old 10-18-17, 11:54 AM   #8
Native, formerly mwmclaughlin1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffle View Post
Appreciate all the info so far...just looking for my wife to catch a some fish ( She does not like to wade ).

Our trips have not produced the best results so far, but the journey is the great part.

Best of luck Michael....looking forward to a lot of pics.

Hey Arden,

sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Got back in town this past Saturday and have not had a chance to put up a TR yet. We were really happy overall with the place we rented through VRBO. It was on Lake Nantahala about 15 miles west of Andrews NC. If you are interested in the listing shoot me a PM and I can send you their link.

It was really close to the DH section of the Nantahala. Plenty of places to pull over and fish. I got my GF fishing for the first time and this was a good place to start. NC DNR just started stocking 2 weeks ago. Fishing early on was slow due to the river getting riled up from TS Nate moving through Sunday but it settled down.

One area to check out for wading and hiking that we hit that I would highly recommend would be the Fires Creek rim trail. The first couple of miles are DH water also but if you move up along the trail you will eventually lose most of the fishing traffic. the trail runs along the creek but you would have to cross the river at times to stay on the trail. If your wife is not a big fan of wading, she would just have to deal with these crossings but then you can find plenty of spots to work from the edges. Saw lots of fish and hooked a few. I spent more time trying to "teach" my GF than fishing myself but it was a place I will definitely explore more in future trips. Highlight of that day was having a bear cub dart out in front of us on a FS road we used to get to the entrance. Always cool to see them up there.

Deep Creek and Indian Trail just outside of Bryson City may also be worth looking in to as well. Met up with Drifter there one morning to check it out. Lots of foot traffic at the main parking area and along the first stretch of the walking path but it thins out as you get up the trail a bit.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. I will get around to posting a TR sooner or later. Feel free to shoot me a PM with any other questions.