View Single Post
Old 08-20-10, 08:51 AM   #28
Julian_Byrd
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Man View Post
A question I have for some of you more scientific-minded folks: It's my understanding that the amount of dissolved oxygen (DO) water can hold decreases as the temperature increases (colder water can sustain more dissolved oxygen than warmer water). If I understand correctly, trout might not survive lengthy periods of 75 degree f. water, but its not a direct result of being exposed this temperature per se, but because they suffocate from the decreased oxygen that 75 degree water contains -- Is it the DO levels, not the temp. that gets them? On the Toccoa tailwater, we've seen the temps rise substantially during the past week (from 64 f to over 71 f) but the DO levels have remained constant at a little over 8 ppm at Hogback. So can the oxygen infusion system at the dam keep the DO levels high enough for the fish to survive higher temps than would be possible in natural free-flowing stream

-- J Pool
Yes, you are correct on the Temp/DO relationship. As water temp rises, its abilty to absorb oxygen (and other gases from the atmosphere) decreases.

I would like to know what type of DO tester you are using. From what I know about water chemistry, a temp swing from 64 to 71 should reflect a change in DO.

J Byrd