NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-17, 12:19 PM   #1
richf7
Native
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 244
Default Bank fishing for trout in rivers or streams

I'm not as nimble on my feet as I once was and don't feel confident wading through even slow moving bodies of water anymore.

Can anyone give me advice on easily accessible trout rivers/streams in North GA with easy to fish shorelines? I've tried a couple of stocked lakes and haven't had any luck yet and would be using spinning instead of fly tackle.

Thanks in advance!
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 04:43 PM   #2
Upstream
Native
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 198
Default

Spinning gear should make it pretty easy to find spots to fish. Any trout stream that has a road along it, cruise along, and when you see a spot that looks to match your idea of accessible, get out and fish. If a few yards above or below that spot look dicey, get back in the car and cruise some more. The Tallulah quickly comes to mind, and the Toccoa at Horseshoe Bend Park has a lot of access from it's parking lot, if that's a more convenient location.
Upstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 05:33 PM   #3
richf7
Native
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstream View Post
Spinning gear should make it pretty easy to find spots to fish. Any trout stream that has a road along it, cruise along, and when you see a spot that looks to match your idea of accessible, get out and fish. If a few yards above or below that spot look dicey, get back in the car and cruise some more. The Tallulah quickly comes to mind, and the Toccoa at Horseshoe Bend Park has a lot of access from it's parking lot, if that's a more convenient location.
Thanks for the info, Upstream. I'm driving up to the Coosawattee near Ellijay tomorrow. Some websites say there are trout while others say just bass, bream, etc. If nothing else it's 5 degrees cooler!
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 05:40 PM   #4
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary
 
Windknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Dacula, GA
Posts: 15,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf7 View Post
Thanks for the info, Upstream. I'm driving up to the Coosawattee near Ellijay tomorrow. Some websites say there are trout while others say just bass, bream, etc. If nothing else it's 5 degrees cooler!
I would expect bream and bass. Possibly, a Nice bass!
__________________

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 05:39 PM   #5
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary
 
Windknot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Dacula, GA
Posts: 15,617
Default

Having described your personal mobility issues, I am reluctant to send you on a potential wild goose chase. With the arrival of Summer, water options become somewhat challenged.

Upstream gave the best advice, in my opinion. For a specific site, try the Chattahoochee in the Helen, GA area.

Don't be discouraged by the responses. Just stay safe, and have fun.

In cooler weather your options will increase!
__________________

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 06:34 PM   #6
richf7
Native
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
Having described your personal mobility issues, I am reluctant to send you on a potential wild goose chase. With the arrival of Summer, water options become somewhat challenged.

Upstream gave the best advice, in my opinion. For a specific site, try the Chattahoochee in the Helen, GA area.

Don't be discouraged by the responses. Just stay safe, and have fun.

In cooler weather your options will increase!
Thanks for the info. I've fished for a long time (not N. GA.) and understand these are the dog days. Hopefully in the next couple of months I'll learn enough to know where to go before next summer rolls around.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 08:01 PM   #7
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,
 
The Ole Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: N Georgia
Posts: 9,028
Default

Go to Vogel State Park and fish in the lake there. Trout were stocked in the lake until July 4. Might be some left in the cool bottom depths. If not, there are some chunky bass and bluegill in there. There is a fishing pier /dock also. Trout are stocked in the winter and up til July. $5 parking. http://gastateparks.org/Vogel
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 10:33 AM   #8
Brotherbear
Native
 
Brotherbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charleston S.C.
Posts: 1,464
Default

Rock Creek Lake has a good stock of trout with good bank access
__________________
Catch the energy
Release the potential
Brotherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 12:28 PM   #9
The Snag Whisperer
Native
 
The Snag Whisperer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 323
Default

What about lake Winfield Scott? They have a nice big dock to fish from. Also, PM incoming.
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright 2010 - North Georgia Trout Online - All Rights Reserved