NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-18, 06:19 PM   #1
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Default New vs. Old Glass

I keep hearing about how old glass is better than new. So after trying out a fair amount of new glass, I was lucky to meet a guy on the river who let me try out his fishhawk from the 70s. Donít think fishhawk has these anymore might have been a custom or promotional item.

Anyways, I was blown away how much I more I enjoyed casting this setup. I figured this was mostly nostalgic ďback in the dayĒ talk but now Iím starting to believe there may be some truth in this. Why so? Old school craftsmanship? Technology/materials? Or maybe they just simply get better with age.
Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 06:43 PM   #2
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I think it may be a combination of things. "Old school" rods tend to be heavier and slower action. I'm sure technology has changed, making today's glass rods appeal to the graphite lover. And I believe you are right, the nostalgia of an old glass rod has something to do with it. I have a couple of older glass rods as well as a couple of newer rods...Eagle Claw and Cabelas.
A lot of my opinion is based on glass vs grass vs graphite. I'm a 'boo head. I love fishing boo for trout. I use glass for warmwater bream and bass, and my heavier rods are graphite. Each has its own application.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 07:03 PM   #3
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

I haven't played with glass much in the past few years, so take this for what it's worth. There seems to be a bit of a "class divide" with glass. There are budget rods/blanks that are cheaper than the average graphite rod/blank, and there are rods/blanks that cost as much or more than Boo. That's true with modern rods/blanks, and the oldies. I think it matters more which side of the divide you fall on. The old/expensive stuff will always be better than the new/cheap stuff. The new/expensive stuff will be better than the old/cheap stuff.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 06:11 PM   #4
Bob M
Hall of Fame Member

Depends on how old too. The first glass versions made from 'brown glass' are as heavy as cane but the nostalgia element makes it worth bringing them out every now and then. The hollow body Phillipson's of the 70's are very sweet rods. An old Wonderrod from the 70's is so-so but it's nice to fish down memory lane. A fairly recent Hardy was easily as good as the 70's era Phillipson. Picked up a Fenwick recently and it's a very enjoyable rod. In a nutshell, there were very good rods back in the day and they are still making very good ones. ... and some not-so-great ones. It's best to steer away from brown glass unless its just for grins.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 08:04 PM   #5
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

Glass rods are as varied in their abilities as carbon fiber (graphite) rods. There are poor and awesome examples of both. Most of the older rods are constructed of inexpensive E-glass which is used in industry for its electrical resistance. Many newer glass rods are constructed of S-glass which has higher tensile strength and lower weight. Some rods are a blend of both just as most graphite rods are blends of various modulus rated materials.
The magic in any rod comes from the mix of different materials and how-where they are applied. Great R&D uncovers the right mix/blend of materials whether dealing with glass or graphite.
Old 01-30-18, 11:02 PM   #6
David Hulsey
Trout Wrangler

For teaching fly casting I love using my first fly rod which is a fiberglass Shakespeare Wonder Rod from the 70's. The blank color is white which shows up well against the sky or trees. Every movement is magnified because of the nature of the glass. It has soul I guess you could say. With it you can really slow everything down and draw with a big crayon which is important to the beginning fly flinger. Adding a blaze orange line also adds to the effect. It just makes casting that much more enjoyable.
David Hulsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 09:28 PM   #7
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Well there was a lull in the rain today. Tried it out in my backyard lake as a study break.... and it's everything I could ever hope for! Even slangs a size 8 wooly bugger without a hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 11:42 PM   #8
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighter View Post
Well there was a lull in the rain today. Tried it out in my backyard lake as a study break.... and it's everything I could ever hope for! Even slangs a size 8 wooly bugger without a hiccup.

Thats a nice fish. I think I might just get a butterstick just so I can match it to my not-so-slim fit sharkskin.
Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
Old 02-09-18, 02:18 PM   #9
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

So as promised I went to smiths yesterday and the water was the highest I've ever seen it. It was a beautiful sight and the fact that the DNR/management of Unicoi added more stream structure and access points made it a perfect day! Richard and I got there early in the morning and I left with 2 in hand and 6 LDR's. Richard stayed longer as I had to head off to my job tutoring kids (anyone in the Gwinnett county area who is looking for a tutor for their children send me a PM! I'll give you the NGTO discount haha) and ended above the 15 fish range as per usual �� . It was Richard's first time at Smith's and it was nice to show him some of my favorite holes there, although we didn't get the chance to fish all of them. Lower numbers than I expected on my part but I just had to get used to the rod itself. The 2 I caught were small rainbows but the rod made the fight so much more enjoyable than horsing them in with a graphite rod. I stayed with Euro nymphing the whole time due to the rapid flow and had a heavily weighted orange glo bug and a little brassie variant up top. I'll have to see if the delicate presentations of dry flies on a fiberglass rod hold true on my next visit with a dry dropper. The length was perfect and the amount of tippet protection and sensitivity of the rod made it a pure joy to cast and fight fish on. One slight detriment (whether it's the rod or myself) I noticed at smiths was that I had to get used to the extra amount of force it takes to set the hook. The tip is so sensitive and light that it can occasionally bounce fish and requires more force to set the hook properly. When I was trying to find that sweet spot I ended up overcompensating and losing plenty of flies to the abundant branches... but then again the amount of thingamabobbers and leaders decorating those same branches alongside my nymphs made me feel a bit better. It's all a part of fishing small streams right?

Last edited by Sighter; 02-09-18 at 02:26 PM.
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 11:33 AM   #10
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Wound up getting one of these for a decent price. There was a '61 model that was really nice but was missing the cap on the bottom so got this Robert Kennedy edition instead.