NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Environmental / DNR > Environmental Issues / Conservation
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-18, 04:05 PM   #1
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Default Pebble Mine

Looks like a win....for now

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/28/58140...ed-protections
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 10:33 PM   #2
retiredmp
Good Idea Fairy Hunter

I hope it remains that way.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 10:14 AM   #3
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Thanks for Update, GU

If anyone here thinks I have a "negative attitude" about poachers, ask me what I think of mines like this one ............

Conservation, like democracy, requires constant a constant vigil and preparedness for action. These mining companies will continue the assault by any means at their disposal. The State of Alaska does not want this mine, the native peoples and other residents of the Bristol Bay area do not want it. So who wants it? A corporation not even based in Alaska and all they care about is extracting mineral wealth and then closing down in bankruptcy leaving us with the clean up. Same pattern has been repeated hundreds of times over and over again and still some people will not listen.

Again, thanks for this ray of sunshine and we will all keep our eyes open! --johnkies--
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 10:55 AM   #4
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Fame

Great news.

I wonder if those (not talking about anyone here) who were constantly bashing Scott Pruitt and the current Admin about this will now back off a bit, say something positive, or even just not compare him to Satan. The level of hyperbole in some of the articles is crazy. Hatch Magazine comes to mind, and I have engaged a couple of their contributors in discussion on FB after an article is posted, and they are way out there in their thinking.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 01:49 PM   #5
fishtacos
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Great news.

I wonder if those (not talking about anyone here) who were constantly bashing Scott Pruitt and the current Admin about this will now back off a bit, say something positive, or even just not compare him to Satan. The level of hyperbole in some of the articles is crazy. Hatch Magazine comes to mind, and I have engaged a couple of their contributors in discussion on FB after an article is posted, and they are way out there in their thinking.

FM
Considering this is a reversal of a previous action by Pruitt and the reversal follows a report brought about by the leak of his super secret schedule showing a meeting with the pebble mine people's shortly before his first action, no I'm not willing to accept that Scottie did this out of the kindness of his heart.
fishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 02:40 PM   #6
EN 787
Native

My understanding was that the EPA prior to Pruitt would not allow the company to go through the proper permitting process. All Pruitt had done was allow the company to submit its proposal for review, which was later rejected after the review. I don't think the mine makes sense economically and environmentally based off what I've read about it, but from the start it should have been allowed to go through the proper steps before being rejected.
Old 02-02-18, 08:27 AM   #7
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Post Pruitt

I will say nothing positive about Pruitt, nor will I say anything negative ... at this time. But with Pruitt in charge we all have to watch closely at what the EPA does and does not do. The EPA is a key component at the federal level in keeping our waters clean enough for trout to live in. Remember Pruitt came in on the swing of a government very much opposed to environmental rules and regulations as obstructions to business.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 11:02 AM   #8
EN 787
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
But with Pruitt in charge we all have to watch closely at what the EPA does and does not do.
I think this could be said for all government past, present, and future.

I will add that the EPA over the past few years has relied on sue and settle as a way of regulation. One story that was not covered by many fishing/outdoor blogs was this story about a guy who owned a small ranch and stocked a man-made watering hole with trout. He got state and local approval but was later fine nearly $40,000 per day by the EPA under the Clean Water Act. He sued and the EPA settled by telling him he had to plant willow trees and limit livestock access to one part of the pond...

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/u...ilys-pond.html
Old 02-02-18, 11:28 AM   #9
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
I will say nothing positive about Pruitt, nor will I say anything negative ... at this time. But with Pruitt in charge we all have to watch closely at what the EPA does and does not do. The EPA is a key component at the federal level in keeping our waters clean enough for trout to live in. Remember Pruitt came in on the swing of a government very much opposed to environmental rules and regulations as obstructions to business.
I would say he came in on the swing of a government very much opposed to UNREASONABLE rules and regulations as obstructions to business.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 12:35 PM   #10
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I would say he came in on the swing of a government very much opposed to UNREASONABLE rules and regulations as obstructions to business.

FM
Ok, so by that logic it sounds like they prefer to put business needs ahead of the environment. How has that worked out in the past? Businesses fail all the time but the environment is perpetually there longer than any business or person ever will be.
As Johnkies said judging him now is not the path. We need to see some time pass to get data but we also have data from previous governmental changes and with the nature of either being blue or red to build off of as well.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote