NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-18, 04:31 PM   #1
Lumis
Native

Default My first attempt at fly fishing the Hooch.

I'm gonna start this post of by saying this may not be safe for your eyes to read and your mind to comprehend. Your IQ may drop. I'm young and stubborn.

Soooo. I ordered a Cabelas RLS+ Fly Combo a few days ago. Came in last night. I unpackaged it, looked at it, and fell in love. So I told myself I'd go fishing in the morning, a little after the water release.

Now of course, I've watched plenty of fly fishing videos of all types and a few casting tutorials and whatnot. So I thought what the heck, I don't need practice, straight to the river I go.

Having caught a few hundred trout as a spin fisher, I went to one of the spots I know in the DH zone below the 20 Bridge, and set myself up on some large rocks that extend into the river. Plenty of space.

I attached my tippet ring to my leader, and them attached a tippet and fly. A wolly bugger because I have no idea what these fish eat. And attempt to cast a few times. Lose my fly and tippet in 5 minutes. Oh well. Attach another.

Very quickly realize I'm garbage. Can't cast past 20-25 feet. Tangled up my line multiple times. Accidently attach a non reusable splitshot to my leader. Oh no. Tangled up my leader at one point to that point that i could not salvage it. My leader went from 9 feet to 5 feet. I wasnt too excited about that.

Finally gave in to my stubbornness and stupidity. Decided it was time to head home. I'd give today's trip a 8/10. Laughing at my stupidity the whole time made the trip a much better experience. If anyone by any chance got a glimpse of my failure, I apologize. I'm certain any kayaks turned back upstream upon gazing their eyes on me.

So I've learned my lesson. I'll be looking for someone to teach me to cast. I'm not the fishing god I thought myself to be.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 04:57 PM   #2
splatek16

That's everybody's first trip
It gets better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 05:34 PM   #3
djangofly
Native

Maybe take a class before you pick up too many bad habits?

Orvis does free introductory classes in the summer. I also had a good casting lesson at the Fishhawk for not a lot of money.

Otherwise, as pointed out, that is everyone's first outing so you are probably on the right track.

Step 1: learn to untangle knots
djangofly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 06:11 PM   #4
gau16
Native

Best thing I did with my new fly rod back when I started was to bring it to a big open space at the park and just cast cast and cast.

No pressure, no fish.

Use a leader and attach a indicator at the end to give it a little weight like a fly. Then have at it.

And yeah, everyoneís first trip is like that.
Old 02-08-18, 06:15 PM   #5
Lumis
Native

Yeah, I was planning on practicing, but then I got ahead of myself and went anyway. Currently in my backyard, trying to swing back and forth without having it making the tiny cracking noises. It's getting better. I'm having a lot of fun surprisingly.

I'll have to look into the lessons. Maybe find a friend to give me a hand until then.

I'm sure I'll have this down in no time.
Old 02-08-18, 07:02 PM   #6
erikclymore
Native

Do like everyone else that canít cast and start euro nymphing!

But seriously even once you feel youíve gotten the hang of casting in the yard youíll step onto the river all confident and what not and discover how much more complicated it is when the current starts dragging on your line and all the sudden you have tension in places youíre not used to.
But donít give up. I through the rod down in disgust last year when I first gave it a go because I thought it was just to complicated. I picked it up again around may determined to figure it out. I stuck with it long enough for things to start clicking. I havenít looked back since.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-18, 07:05 PM   #7
Lumis
Native

Good news. I was once fishing the pond behind me and a neighbor from a few houses down was too. I just remembered that he mentioned he was a fly fisherman and goes to fish in North Carolina.

Walked over to his house, found him outside, and explained that I had bought a fly rod and could use some help learning to use it. He was happy to help and told me to come by on Saturday.

So I guess I found my lesson. I'm excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikclymore View Post
Do like everyone else that can’t cast and start euro nymphing!
I plan to learn eventually.
Old 02-10-18, 09:17 AM   #8
splatek16

@lumis if you're interested, @Streamsidesam and I could take you out sometime and show you a few things, try and get you on some trouts.
You also might wanna try Smith creek.
That is a fun place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 09:39 AM   #9
Streamside Sam
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
@lumis if you're interested, @Streamsidesam and I could take you out sometime and show you a few things, try and get you on some trouts.
You also might wanna try Smith creek.
That is a fun place
+1

Smith creek, and other similar sized small streams helped me learn basic casting, rigging, trout behavior, and reading water when I first started FF, without having to worry as much about wading. I did a lot of that before moving on to bigger water.

Last edited by Streamside Sam; 02-10-18 at 09:54 AM.
Streamside Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-18, 11:41 AM   #10
fishteeth
Stocker

Like you, I grew up spin fishing in GA and after college I moved to Jackson, WY. I got a job in the camping dept of a well know outdoor store that was primarily a fly shop. I was hell bent on learning to fly fish. I picked the brains of the guides and fly guys. They taught me to cast, what to use, where to fish, and knots. I had a huge leg up. Then I was ready to actually fish.

I fished everyday rain or shine (all day on my days off, or after work in the evenings) for 3 weeks before I caught a trout. It takes time and you'll make every error imaginable. But keep at it. I've barely picked up a spin rod since that summer. I simply prefer the fly.
fishteeth is offline   Reply With Quote