NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-10, 09:14 PM   #11
Clintb2015
Native

Thanks Tracy, that makes alot of sense about getting in and out to wade etc. I really want something that I can stand in. I would prefer something without out riggers, but I have not rulled them out.
Clintb2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 01:04 PM   #12
Brewski
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintb2015 View Post
Looking at getting my first yak. This one caught my eye. Any thougts about it or advice. I'm 5'6" and 200lbs. I will mostly use it on the rivers around here and some lakes/ponds with the occasional trip to the coast for some inshore fishing. Anyone have one of these?
Quote:
Checked out a WS Commander today at Go With the Flow. Looked nice and is on sale this week. Looks real stable, but a little heavy to unload/load. Also looked at an Old Town Vapor Angler 12 footer. Looked pretty good and had some nice features. Anyone have or have used either of those boats. Any Pros or cons about them.
Quote:
Thanks Tracy, that makes alot of sense about getting in and out to wade etc. I really want something that I can stand in. I would prefer something without out riggers, but I have not rulled them out.
In my opinion, the Commander is a great vessel for the fishing that I do in rivers, lakes, and ponds. I know of guides that use them for inshore saltwater fishing as well. Also, I can easily stand and fish from it.

That said, you should definitely demo one for yourself. I'm 8" taller and about 50lbs less, so my opinion of the boat could be completely different than yours after you try it out. Notice that I've repeatedly underlined 'opinion' in this post. You are the final judge of what boat works best for you and what you want to do with your boat.

A couple things I've learned from buying and using two completely different kayaks: NO kayak is perfect for all conditions or people AND make sure you take personal opinions of different boats with a grain of salt. I would have missed out on a great boat that accomplishes just want it to if I had taken bad feedback I got (mind you the vast majority of reviews of the Commander everywhere on the internet are positive) regarding the Commander to the bank and never tried it out for myself.

Some more details regarding the Commander are here: http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ight=commander

Last edited by Brewski; 07-15-10 at 01:11 PM.
Brewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 02:33 PM   #13
Riverpirate
Native

If you want a canoe like the commander you might look at the Old Town Guide 119. 350.00 at Dicks and weighs only 43 lbs.
Old 07-15-10, 03:29 PM   #14
Brewski
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
If you want a canoe like the commander you might look at the Old Town Guide 119. 350.00 at Dicks and weighs only 43 lbs.
I thought we've been over this before.. the Commander is not a canoe! For one thing, the Commander has pontoons that make the hull stable enough for standing in...which Clint mentioned is a requirement.

I agree though that the Old Town Guide is a great canoe for the money if you want a canoe and it meets your needs. Try them both.
Brewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 03:50 PM   #15
Riverpirate
Native

OK then the Hybride Guide is stable enough to stand in as well. But what ever you want to call it is fine with me.
Old 07-19-10, 01:57 PM   #16
flyg
Hall of Fame Member

I can't believe I missed this post. I've been fishing out of my Synergy 12 for 3 hard years and consider it a great boat. I've had it on multiple rivers, big lakes, and the salt without problems. I'll admit, I got the boat because it was available cheap and local and would do the job. I'm not the type to blather on about gear; I buy it and I beat the crap out of it catching fish, and I don't put a lot of tedious thought into all the bajillions of better options available to the truly informed consumer.

It does have shortcomings. At 200 lb (which is about what I weigh), you won't be able to comfortably stand in it. Because it doesn't bail, water accumulates. On big water and rough days I carry a hand-operated bilge pump. I used this once in over a hundred trips, on a day with steady 1.5-2' chop on Hartwell. My partner that day was in a Native U12, was a lot lighter than me, and was taking waves over the bow just a frequently as I was. Pretty heavy at 60 lbs, but not unmanageable.

The gear nets that come with are pretty good. Contrary to what some have said, you can pack a lot in the open compartments of this boat. I've done at least 5 overnight trips in mine. I can roll mine and get back in with about 3" of water in the cockpit--even without a pump, this will leave you light enough and dry enough to paddle to safety. This is different than my experiences in standard canoes. Drier, especially for a 200 lb guy, than many SOT. In normal conditions the only water in your boat comes from paddle drip. I carry a sponge which I use every few hours if I'm paddling a lot, and end many days of fishing with a completely dry butt.

It'll work and it'll fish. If you can find a better boat conveniently in your price range, great. But don't be afraid to get this boat. It is a great fishing boat.

G
flyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 09:01 PM   #17
Clintb2015
Native

I have not been able to find a synergy to test around here. No one seams to carry them anymore. I did go to "The Outside World" and test paddle the Native U12 and the Commander 120. It was a really tough call, but I have decided to get the Commander. The small details on the Commander are what sold me. The bow and stern handles are more padded "beefier", there was more knee and elbow padding, the super comfortable seat and the way it can slide forward or slide back and stow under the Captains seat. I also think the seat sits up a little higher and since I am height challenged, it made paddling a little easier. I plan on getting it when I sell the guns I posted in the Swap thread. If they don't sell this week I plan on taking them to the gun show this weekend.

The real problem I have now is finding a rack that will work with the soft bed cover on my truck. I have a four door Nissan Titan so if any one has any ideas let me know.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-20-10, 12:41 AM   #18
Bfish
Native

Quote:

The real problem I have now is finding a rack that will work with the soft bed cover on my truck. I have a four door Nissan Titan so if any one has any ideas let me know.
Drop a bed extender into the hitch, lower the tailgate and off you go (after straping down the boat of course).
Bfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-10, 02:00 PM   #19
Brotherbear
Native

I have the mad river synergy and love it I am six feet 200 pounds, It handles
very good from lakes to class 3 whitewater. Improved seat design on new onesmakes for infinite adjustments. Mad river has a lifetime warranty and
customer service is great. My firt synergy was two years old when I noticed
a strange looking defect on the bottom. Barret at GO WITH THE FLOW
took a picture and emailed to mad river, I had a new boat within a couple
of days.
Kudos to the brothers at G***and Mad river.
Old 07-20-10, 03:18 PM   #20
Clintb2015
Native

Bfish, the problem with that is that I need to use the room in the bed, under the cover, to store stuff when I travel. Since I have all the seats taken up in the cab with people and car seats, the only place I have to put cargo is in the back. I really need to put it overhead if I can. If I can't figure something out though the bed extender is a good idea.