NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-11, 08:24 AM   #1
ScubaSnac9
Stocker

Send a message via AIM to ScubaSnac9
Default Google "My Maps" Feature?

I am wondering if anyone else has thought of or is currently using the Google My Maps feature on the internet. I am sure everyone has used Google maps to search for locations or do directions. You may not know there is a save feature for the places you want to keep. You can save locations and share them with the "Public" or only the friends you want to.

I have created a private My Maps for all my fishing locations in GA and NC, which is where I am originally from. I was wondering if anyone else has done so and if you would like to combine and share or we could create one for NGTO.

I have a Droid 2 smart phone and with the navigation built in, it helps me get in and get out much quicker. It also helps me plan my trips, so I can see what rivers are closest, in case I want to make a change. I have found its a great way to remember those special spots, without actually having to remember how to get there!

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts together and see if it was something we may want to look at doing. Let me know your thoughts and we can cook something up. I can't figure out why I cannot get the photo to attach, because it would help with the understanding of what I am talking about. Suggestions on how you get photos uploaded to the site would be helpful too.

ScubaSnac9

Last edited by ScubaSnac9; 02-18-11 at 08:31 AM. Reason: screen shot didnt take
ScubaSnac9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 08:28 AM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Not really a tech-geek, so I may not quite understand what is being proposed here. But I did want to throw out a reminder that public posting of maps or detailed directions to sensitive wild trout streams would not be allowed.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 08:35 AM   #3
ScubaSnac9
Stocker

Buck,

The saving of streams, creeks, rivers would be done by the individuals within our site. You can regulate exactly what you want to put on the map and who you want to share it with.

Why is posting of maps or directions to streams, whether they are wild or not, prohibited on the site? You can pick up Jimmy Jacobs book or any other GA trout book and get the same information.

Thanks

ScubaSnac9
Old 02-18-11, 08:40 AM   #4
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

ScubaSnac9, if you follow this link: How to post pictures you'll be taken to a sticky that explains image posting options.

As for posting stream info, please first read this sticky: A Message to New Folks Concerning Stream Names, Locations and Trout on NGTO and if you still have questions then we can discuss them further.

BTW I see that's your second post so welcome to NGTO! If you come to the fishing show this weekend at the North Atlanta Trade Center you can meet other NGTO folks as we'll have a booth there.
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 08:43 AM   #5
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSnac9 View Post
Why is posting of maps or directions to streams, whether they are wild or not, prohibited on the site? You can pick up Jimmy Jacobs book or any other GA trout book and get the same information.
Surprised you cannot see the difference, but here you go: going out and buying Jimmy's book is one thing; posting detailed info about wild trout streams to the world wide web is a completely different matter! This has been a long standing and enforced policy here on NGTO and everyone here is very respectful of this rule because they understand why it is in place. . If we allow folks to post detailed info / directions about these small wild streams here, then the fishing pressure would increase dramatically on these streams. For those who have a passion for fishing these streams, the info is out there! Learning about these wild trout streams should be as tough as it is to fish them.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 08:44 AM   #6
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Meant to include the link to the show thread: Invite- Great Southern Fly Fishing Show

Last edited by Trout8myfly; 02-18-11 at 09:46 AM.
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 09:29 AM   #7
ScubaSnac9
Stocker

Buck,

Thanks for the information, I understand.

Trout8myfly,

I have been to the show the last 4 years in a row, but I will probably miss this year, since I am going to Smith's Creek tomorrow and then I doubt the wife will let me go on Sunday, since she will be keeping the little one by herself tonight and tomorrow. Oh well, maybe next year.

Thanks for the information on posting the pictures.

Cheers!