NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-11, 08:31 PM   #1
rglaze
Stocker

Default Hooch DH Report from Palisades 12/9

Well, I had to get out of the house because I've been out of my mind studying for exams for too long. So I decided to take my first trip to the Hooch DH since I live 5 minutes away from multiple sections. I left around 12:45 and was on the water by 1:15 at the West Palisades. I had gotten some advice from some other sources before I joined this forum but wasn't expecting much for my first outing. I intended it as more reconnaissance than anything else.
From the flow data it seemed like the water was up a bit but not too bad so I headed out.
It turned out to be one of the best quantity days (half-day) I've had for trout. It took me an hour or so of trying different combination of nymphs/buggers in a run that was clearly holding fish by the number I saw rising before I got my first fish, a pretty little brown, on a FBHE. Since there were so many fish rising and I had seen some pretty small BWOs coming off, I attempted to get one of the risers on a BWO dry in a couple of sizes but they were having none of it.
Finally, I found the magic combination of nymphs for my outing (pheasant tail soft hackle with a smaller prince dropped off) and ended up with 29 fish (27 bows 2 browns) on the day. One nice 14" bow put up a great fight due to its stocky stature and the other fish generally fought quite well. Most were between 8-12" and more on the 8" side, which I suppose must be pretty typical for this section. The water seemed a bit stained but not badly but I don't have much to go on for this section since this was my first outing.
I honestly wish I had brought my camera despite the risk of it being dunked simply to document this and corroborate what seems like to me a pretty extraordinary first experience with the fishery.
Are these kinds of numbers typical, or at least not out of the ordinary, for the Hooch DH or was this an anomaly? Either way I'm definitely going to stick with my plan to go out almost every day after my last exam. Hope anyone else who made it out today was met with success!
"There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words least appropriate to any statement about it, are the words "always" and "never." Lord Edward Grey
rglaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 09:13 PM   #2
FishBatter
Native

Default Great report

Congrats on a fabulous day on the water.
Old 12-09-11, 09:29 PM   #3
Wet Fly
Hall of Fame Member

It always happens when you least expect it, right? Congratulations on a very successful outing. I think he may forgive you this time but make sure you take some pics in the future or you'll have RScott after you about how it didn't happen if there's no pictures . Thanks for the report and welcome to the board.

There's nought as queer as folk.

"From the end of May to the end of August, a drizzling or thoroughly wet day is the best; next to which is a showery one, and then a bright day with a breeze of wind; a dark day without wind is the worst of all." W.C. Stewart
Wet Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-11, 10:07 PM   #4
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

rglaze,

that section had been stocked twice this week ... wait is West Palisades White Water Park or Paces

Any way that are was stocked yesterday and the water conditions were very good today, a light stain but not high and fast. In other words just right for you to have a great outing. As the trout acclimate to their surroundings and spread out they will get wiser, but will still be there to fool.

Glad you had a great day on the water, that's what it's all about ... wait or is that Miller Time
Old 12-10-11, 12:43 AM   #5
rglaze
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowStreamer View Post
rglaze,

that section had been stocked twice this week ... wait is West Palisades White Water Park or Paces

Any way that are was stocked yesterday and the water conditions were very good today, a light stain but not high and fast. In other words just right for you to have a great outing. As the trout acclimate to their surroundings and spread out they will get wiser, but will still be there to fool.

Glad you had a great day on the water, that's what it's all about ... wait or is that Miller Time
Palisades are Sandy Point I think. I'm not sure what names are most frequently used but I was fishing the stretch between Devil's Race Course Shoals and Thornton Shoals in what was mostly slow stuff. I'd heard it fishes well but is a hike so fewer people around.
Thanks much, it was a blast and the beer afterward is always quite nice as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Fly View Post
It always happens when you least expect it, right? Congratulations on a very successful outing. I think he may forgive you this time but make sure you take some pics in the future or you'll have RScott after you about how it didn't happen if there's no pictures . Thanks for the report and welcome to the board.
It really does. I was blown away when things started to pick up. As to the pictures I'll be sure to have some next time not only for proof but good pictures of an outing are hard to beat for for looking back.
No problem on the report; happy to share. Thanks for the welcome.
"There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words least appropriate to any statement about it, are the words "always" and "never." Lord Edward Grey
rglaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 10:50 AM   #6
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

This is what happens when you pay attention to what the fish tell you.

Good job!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 03:22 PM   #7
gojackets
Native

Sounds like you were fishing Akers Mill. I am considering heading out there soon because I'm sure Paces is packed. Thanks for the report. I'm glad to see there are fish at that spot because like you said, it is a decent hike to the river so it doesn't get as much pressure.
Old 12-10-11, 04:03 PM   #8
UpstateFishing
Native

Yep West Palisades is Akers Mill/Sandy Point. East Palisades is WW. Congrats on the trip, being successful makes it alot more fun
UpstateFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 05:06 PM   #9
sbleiler
Native

Paces was PACKED, but fishing awesome. BWOs were popping EVERYWHERE, dries were the ticket today.
sbleiler is offline   Reply With Quote