NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Salt Water Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-12, 08:41 PM   #1
DavidEdens
NGTO Sponsor

Default St. Simons Red Fish, late December-early January

December/early January fishing:
The red fish have been on fire when we find them. Some days we only find one or two schools, and other days the reds are on every flat. The water temperature has been in the low 50's, the water is normally clear, and the sight fishing is awesome. Most days, anglers have many, many shots at BIG reds. I have had several fish fall victim to Purple and Black Puglissi Peanut Bunker patterns.

With light winds and fishing small flies, I have been fishing a six weight. A nine pound red is a hoot on a six weight. With lower water temperatures and plenty of Oxygen in the water, the fight does not over stress them, and they are released no worse for the wear.

The weather this year has been unusually mild. It looks like we will have a run of 50 degree weather, which will keep the gnats down, rather than 70 degree weather for the next week; and the tides will be looking good starting on the 17th and running until the end of January. If you have a chance, you should come get your string stretched and come "Hunt fish in the Golden Isles of Georgia."
www.flycastcharters.com
FFF Certified Casting Instructor
Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide
DavidEdens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-12, 09:22 AM   #2
wtbfishin
Native

Nice , I'm headin' that way in a minute, hangin' at the Ford Platation and looking for some Reds, thanks for the report
Old 01-27-12, 12:28 PM   #3
Trouty Mouth
Native

Good talking to you at the show and I thought that you did a good job at your Seminar when your visuals wouldn't work. Everyone loved the Seagar and DOA samples! I want to get over there and get out for a day with you sometime. Does the fishing go "dormant" at some time in the Winter? If so, when does it heat up again where it would be worth going out? If nothing else, I am scedhuled to work there for two weeks in mid June where I could steal a day. Just pm me if you would like!
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote