NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Casting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-12, 05:33 AM   #1
carl_weis2000
Native

Default switch/spey casting

I was looking at a switch setup for single handed spey type casting, i.e. no backhaul. Does anyone have any experience with this type setup? I've read up on it but don't know anyone who's actually done it? Thanks so much.
carl_weis2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 06:59 PM   #2
SpeyBro
Native

Default semantics

I don't quite know what you mean by a switch set-up using a "single handed spey type casting, i.e. no backhaul". Basically, a switch rod is a light weight rod, most commonly in the 3-5 weight zone, having a spey configuration consisting of an upper and shorter lower rod handle. With this configuration one can use it EITHER as a single-handed rod and do everything one usually does with a SH-er, which may include spey moves, double hauling, etc. OR, one places both hands on the switch rod and treats it as a spey rod performing all the moves associated with speying. One can 'overhead' with two hands on the switcher for added power. Hauling can only be done when your treating the switcher as a SH rod with a hand free to haul.

Last edited by SpeyBro; 03-11-12 at 07:07 PM.
SpeyBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 10:18 AM   #3
ZachMatthews
Native

Single hand Spey casting can be done on any rod; you don't need a switch rod necessarily. Switch rods actually go all the way up now; the best one I demoed for an article a few years back was Sage's 11-foot 7-weight Z-Axis, which is still a great rod for stripers or nearshore coastal angling.

Switch rods are so named because you can switch between overhead and Spey casting, but for learning to Spey cast, you are better off with an actual 12'-13' Spey rod. Switch rods are compromises and they are very efficient in the hands of proficient casters but they're not necessarily the best things to learn on. A bit like having one training wheel; kind of half of one and half of the other if you get my meaning.

Zach