NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > New Members!
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-12, 11:57 AM   #1
UpNorthTransplant
Stocker

Default New from WI

Hey everybody! I am thrilled to find a site like this to connect with fellow fishermen in my new home. I recently relocated from Wisconsin down to the Johns Creek area and immediately started researching the trout fishing on the Chattahoochee. From what I hear, I'm going to have lots of fun, but I'm in the beginning stages of the process. Although I have fly fished up north, it's not the predominant style of fishing and so I will first start by doing a little rod shopping in the coming days...In the meantime, while I was walking the trails in the NRA in Johns Creek, I saw some guys fishing from shore. Is there any success in shore fishing with an open bail reel/rod combo? I think that will be my foot in the door to fishing the river, so I'm hoping there is . We do a lot of trout fishing up north with small spinners (#0-#2), so I assume something like that would work here as well. Also, just a few other questions that will help educate myself...

- from what I understand, no trout can be kept from the river until mid May, is that correct?
- additionally, right now only single-hook lures can be used until mid May from what I understand. If that's the case, in WI a single hook lure can be a spinner with a single hook - even though the hook has 3 points. Is that the same here, or does a single hook mean more like the hook you would find on a fly?
- how is the stretch of river from the Suwanee Creek NRA down to Holcomb Bridge? Again, being new and living right in Johns Creek, I will probably start close to home.

I apologize if I rambled on here, but I'm beyond excited to start fishing down south. If anyone has any other local rivers/streams they might suggest as an alternative to the Chattahoochee, that would appreciated, but I understand if you want to withhold that information to a new comer for now. I'll earn it .

Feel free to throw in anything else - I appreciate the awesome hospitality I've seen thus far. Thanks much, and I'm excited to call northern GA my new home.

Matt
UpNorthTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 12:03 PM   #2
UpNorthTransplant
Stocker

Default one other thing...

One other note to curb my enthusiasm...I'm on the same page with the sticky note message to new members about being respectful and cordial. I grew up fishing many bodies of water in WI and Canada and know the value of good fishing knowledge. Just a disclaimer that I'm not here to vulture knowledge, just a few pointers to get my feet wet, so to speak.
Old 03-21-12, 01:51 PM   #3
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome UNT,
That section of the hooch is very good and can easily be fished with spinners. As for the single hook, no keeping, that applies to the DH section of the hooch, further south of you and amongst all that traffic.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 02:36 PM   #4
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

Welcome aboard, Matt! If possible, come to the NGTO Spring Fling at Buford Trout Hatchery this Saturday. (See the Events Forum for directions) It is free, and the best way to put faces to strange board names. Oh, and you can sample some of the best barbeque in Georgia. And it's all free.

Over on the left of the panel, click on Maps, and start playing with the Chattahoochee River maps. The tailwater section is something like 41 miles long, and regulations go from freestyle (lures, bait, etc) to artificials-only to Delayed Harvest. In GA, single-hook means only one pointy part per hook.

You will find excellent fishing fairly close to home. And, you can fish 12 months a year - our water never gets hard.
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 12:36 PM   #5
UpNorthTransplant
Stocker

Thank you for the invite this weekend - I would love to attend, but unfortunately since we've only been here about 2 weeks, we have loads of around-the-house type of things we (wife and I) just have to accomplish before another week starts...darn!

Thanks for the tips as well, I'll definitely be checking out the maps to get a better idea of the different areas on the river. I also purchased that Jimmy Jacobs book on trout fishing in GA - I figure it can only help.

Hopefully I can get out soon and report on my maiden trip. Cheers!

Matt
Old 03-22-12, 02:05 PM   #6
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

The Fling is a family-friendly environment, and the lunch is free. Think of it as giving her a long lunch in between unpacking festivities.

Just tryin' to help a brother out!
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 08:28 PM   #7
Xristos
Native

Welcome Matt,

I grew up fishing on (Big) Green Lake in central Wisconsin. As a matter of fact, it looks like I will be heading back up in July and might need to ask you about some streams to hit!

Also, we are Georgia neighbors as I am in Alpharetta. On this end of the Hooch (and people can chime in if I am wrong) there are only a handful of areas accessible by foot. Albeit, I am usually wading and there might be more shoreline paths in deeper water that I have not explored. I don't think I have picked up anything but my fly rod since the first day I held it!

When you bust out the map, I would look at 3 places first - all roughly 15-20min drive from where you are. Buford Dam, Settles Bridge and Island Ford. These are no big secrets and all get a fair amount of big city pressure but they are the closest wading sections to you.

Hope that helps,

Chris

P.S. Listen to Windknot and talk that wifie into going to the Fling!
Old 03-24-12, 08:57 PM   #8
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

Welcome Upnorth. Good to have you with us. I would just add one area between Settles Br and Island Ford that Chris left out. That is Jones Br which is a good area for wading . You better get there before really hot weather and before school is out though. Once that happens the bikini hatch breaks out and you will have to bring your own rock to stand on. You can access Jones Br from both sides of the river. One side is a Gwinnett County Park, the other side is a National Rec Area Unit off of Barnwell Rd. I prefer the NRA/Barnwell Rd side.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 07:43 PM   #9
1_last_cast
Stocker

Default Upper Chattahoochee Chapter of Trout Unlimited

Welcome UNT, I trust that by now you've thawed out from your move and are probably going through cheese curd withdrawal. One of the best ways that I found to learn more about the 'Hootch and how to fish it by fly was by attending a meeting for the Upper Chattahoochee Chapter of Trout Unlimited. In fact, our next meeting is tomorrow night, March 27th, at 6pm at Ippolito's Restaurant in Roswell. Our meeting begins at 6pm with a social hour and time to order dinner/drinks, and is a great opportunity to meet other fisher-folks who call the Chattahoochee their home waters. The topic of tomorrow's discussion will be the Toccoa River in the North Georgia mountains about an hour and a half from you. If you are not able to join us tomorrow night, you may consider joining us at a future date. We have our meetings at Ippolito's the fourth Tuesday of every month except for November and December - same bat time, same bat channel.
1_last_cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 08:18 PM   #10
Swamp Angel
President

Welcome to NGTO, and lemme tell ya. . . you are in the thick of 'Hoochee trout-fishin' being that you're in Johns Creek! There's some great wading available to ya at Jones Bridge Park, as well as up at Buford Dam, and Bowman's Island. There ain't gonna be a whole lotta wadin' 'round the area that you're in, but floats, inflatable-blow-up dolls -- OOPS! -- I mean inflatable pontoons, kayaks, canoes, an' small boats sech as Gheenoes, River Hawks, or small john boats are all great ways to make the best of ever'thing the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area has to offer. (Whew! I cain't b'lieve that I done got all that last part writ' out nigh on properly!)

I, mahse'f, gener'ly put in at the Abbotts Bridge ramp off GA 120 (Abbotts Bridge Rd) in a white Gheenoe called the 'Hoochee Queen. Hopefully we'll get a chance an' see each other on the water as spring-time an' summer progress.

Again, welcome aboard! It's good to have you join us!
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote