NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-12, 07:17 PM   #11
KeithO
Native

The new Clearwater is sweet. I have the older version in a 7wt and it is a good rod.
KeithO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 11:36 AM   #12
Ryker
Native

DawgVet,
I very much agree with trying to buy products made in the USA (as well as supporting the local fly shops). Some of the Orvis products are made in the USA, but others are not (South Korea and maybe Vietnam). I agree that where a product is made should be an important factor, especially during our economic times. In the past, Orvis has always been good to me, as they have been generous to us military folks.

That being said, my Imperial is a pretty sweet feeling rod. Lots of backbone with a soft tip.

Nevertheless, Driftwood is right-on when he said a person just needs to cast them both. There is no substitute for trying an item before you buy ... another good reason to shop at your local fly shop or sporting goods store, instead of the world-wide-web.

Respectfully,
Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 03:32 PM   #13
Dawg Vet
Native

Ryker,
I totally agree that, in the end, it should always come down to that person casting the rods and choosing. Seems to me, though, that too many people assure because it says "Orvis" or some other high-end company, that it is automatically a better rod. Personally, I think St. Croix has one of the best line-ups or rods out there and all are a bargain.
Regards,

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps
Dawg Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 02:14 AM   #14
LA MantaRay12
Native

bobhaljr,

are you only interested in the Orvis and St. Croix rods? I looked at both of these rods in a 4 wt but also looked at the TFO Finesse. I ended up buying the TFO and it was much cheaper. I too found the Orvis difficult to cast in tight spots. I had an opportunity to throw all three on a creek about 25 to 30 ft wide and then on a small stream about 3 ft wide and full of overhanging brush. The TFO was much easier to shoot line up the small creek than the other two.

Just my two cents.

LA MantaRay12 (Charles)
LA MantaRay12 is offline   Reply With Quote