NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-12, 10:34 AM   #1
kpschwartz
Stocker

Default Discount Flies

I'm needing to buy some flies and am not a wealthy man. I have seen numerous discount fly websites... any thoughts on which are good to go with based on experiences? Thanks.
kpschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 10:54 AM   #2
zug buggin
Native

I tye all mine except for dry flies which I can't seem to get the hackle right. I ordered drys from www.FlyShack.com for .84 each. I got exactly what I paid for, discount durability and discount quality for a discount price. I've heard good reports about one of our sponsors Caylor Custom Flies, I've looked thru his online store and his prices aren't bad and from the reports on NGTO his quality is good

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane

Last edited by zug buggin; 05-22-12 at 01:19 PM.
zug buggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 11:07 AM   #3
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

First off, welcome to NGTO! I am not sure one necessarily needs to be wealthy to be able to afford quality hand tied flies? I encourage you to consider supporting our sponsors with your business, but there are certainly many sources out there for obtaining fishing flys on the cheap. Best of luck in your quest.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 11:17 AM   #4
Da Da's Fishing
Internet Technologies Officer, Director, Hall of Fame Member

I've tried some of the discount shops and Caylor. Hands down Caylor's flies are better. You can't get much cheaper honestly and get a product that you'd want to fish. If you consider durability and time taken to retie a fly, a quality fly will actually serve you better than a discount fly will.

The only exception to that that I have found is if you're fishing in what I consider hazardous waters, lots of low hanging limbs and underwater obstructions. In that case, I'd rather break off a cheap fly than an expensive one.

DD F
Old 05-23-12, 08:24 AM   #5
Ace of Spades
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Da's Fishing View Post
I've tried some of the discount shops and Caylor. Hands down Caylor's flies are better.
DD F
I will second this. Great flies at an even better price. And Roger has been excellent to deal with. He helped me out big time on my last two last minute orders.
Ace of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 08:39 AM   #6
Baldy
Native

Thumbs up

Yep, Caylors has my vote. Good quality, good price, and everytime I get flies from them I always seem to get an extra fly thrown in.
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote