NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-13, 01:14 AM   #1
CatfishMike
Native

Default Toccoa DH on Monday 1/7

Finally a good lookin' forcast for a Monday. My dad and I are gonna head up to the Toccoa DH. Anyone have any news on the DH and if it's fishing well? Anyone know what's working? Any help would be appreciated. Both my pops and I are pretty new to this, and he's yet to get a trout to hand with his fly rod. If I don't get him a fish soon, I might lose my fishing buddy.

Thanks.
CatfishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 03:33 AM   #2
northgeorgiajunkie
Native

Default DH

It's pretty standard there for stocked fish. Soft hackles, hares ears. My best fly there has been a tungsten surveyor. Dont forget your san juan worms, eggs, wolly buggers, ect. I would try to fish the places further from the road.
northgeorgiajunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 07:47 AM   #3
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

It's a bit of a hike, but park where the power lines cross shallowford road and hike down to the river from there. Wading is pretty easy and it's good both up and downstream from the entry point. Throw junk first to see if they are fresh and stupid. If not, try a leech or bugger pattern with a soft hackle trailer. If that fails go to all naturals like pheasant tails and hares ears. The key in colder weather though is to get your flies on the bottom. If you don't snag up on occasion you are not in the strike zone. Keep an eye on the flows as I think it's supposed to rain on Sunday. I don't think it's easy wading if the DH gets above a 400. Right now it's at 354 cfs. Good luck and see you on the river. If you don't have any luck, I'll be happy to show you all around IF to see if I can get you on some fish.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 10:42 AM   #4
sowegafly
Native

Hey 2fly is the flow info on the USGS site?
sowegafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 10:55 AM   #5
OLC55
Native

http://www.tva.gov/lakes/streams.htm

It's about halfway down. 347 so it should be about perfect in a couple days.
OLC55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 03:50 PM   #6
CatfishMike
Native

Thanks for the help. I've fished the section once before, but fished by the first pullouts just up from the bridge. Found a pretty decent hole a little ways up from there. Sounds like by the power lines is the place to go though.

I was looking for a Toccoa gauge too and the link I kept finding was dead, so thanks for that as well. I'll keep watching it over the weekend and hope there's not a lot of rain up that way.

As for IF, I'd love to take you up on that offer. I've pulled some fish out there (the little beauty in my picture is from there), even had a good day on black Friday when I pulled 10-15 out of a couple holes in a little over an hour. Being new to this though, I'd love any advice/info/criticism/knowledge/lies I can get.

My dad though, just gotta convince him he really is better off with an indicator. Any advice on how to convince dear old dad to listen to his son would be great too.

Anywho, thanks again for all the help.
CatfishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 05:00 PM   #7
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

I don't know how to convince your dad, but if he insists on going without, make sure he get the kinks out of his leader!!!!

He can do it by stretching it hard and holding it for a few seconds, or by drawing his leader thru a rubber pad. What you want to accomplish is to heat the line (by stretching or pulling it thru the rubber pad) and letting it cool down while straight.

Good luck. And take pops favorite beer with you.
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 09:53 PM   #8
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

An indicator is the perfect way to start. It really helps you in managing your drift. I wouldn't go to a tight line nymph technique until you are comfortable with managing your line and drift. A furled leader is a great leader for new trout fisherman as well. You can hook an indicator on it easily and it lasts forever. Not good for tight line nymphing though as it doesn't sink very well. A few guys on the board make them. I know they usually sell them at the flings.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 11:50 PM   #9
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

Hey Catfish-- click on the Unicoi Outfitters rotating banner ad up top or at their Forum. On the left side click "Articles", then click the "Toccoa DH Map". This will show you the location of parking spots along the DH section and the name of some of the holes and riffles.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 12:02 AM   #10
Fly Rod
Native

I was up there Saturday and an olive BHWB and a small stone fly dropper worked well.Good luck.
Fly Rod is offline   Reply With Quote