NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Bamboo Fly Rods
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-11, 05:28 PM   #11
FishTheBubbles
Stocker

Wink Tight Ferrules

I often see discussion about how to get a 'stuck' bamboo rod apart safely; any advice on how to get one assembled?
It's been a few months since I had the bamboo rod out; now I can't get it together. I've steel-wooled the male end of the ferrule and it still won't go. How does one address the female ferrule. (I'm sure that last sentence should make for some interesting replies!)
FishTheBubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 07:21 AM   #12
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTheBubbles View Post
I often see discussion about how to get a 'stuck' bamboo rod apart safely; any advice on how to get one assembled?
It's been a few months since I had the bamboo rod out; now I can't get it together. I've steel-wooled the male end of the ferrule and it still won't go. How does one address the female ferrule. (I'm sure that last sentence should make for some interesting replies!)
I just saw this question an was surprised it didn't have any response. Are you sure the female ferrule is perfectly round? It sounds like the female ferrule may have gotten warped ever so slightly.
If everything is true, try cleaning the inside of the ferrule with a Qtip with a little alcohol, just be careful and not get any on the finish. You also might try making a "rope" out of the steel wool and polishing the inside, then cleaning with a Qtip. Hope this helps!

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 07:29 AM   #13
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

If the rod is fairly new, then it is very common for ferrules that were lapped and fit properly by the maker have now grown too tight to fit together. Bill Oyster calls it the "mysterious growing ferrules" and when it happens to one of his rods, he simply re-laps the male ferrule until a proper snug fit is re-acheived. Now if it a case of the female ferrule being out of round, then you are probably looking at a ferrule replacement job.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 01:38 PM   #14
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

What rod is it bubbles? A higher end rod with nickle-silver ferrules can be re-lapped. If you have a lower end vintage rod it most likely has chrome plated brass ferrules. The thin chrome plate is easy to cut through exposing the brass. Exposing the brass will accelerate the wear in the future. I have a South Bend with the chrome cut through on the male ferrule. The chrome on these was originally just a chrome "flash" which is only .0003 to .0005 inch thick. After I did some polishing, the ferrule on my SB is a mix of chrome and brass color.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 12:25 PM   #15
Tomcoo2
Native

Steel wooling the male half will take you forever. Assuming neither half of the ferrule is out of round , you will need to use some fine emory cloth and be sure that you fully rotate the ferrule to get even coverage. Check it periodically so that you don't go too far. You will have to do this periodically with nickle silver ferrules. It takes a little more elbow grease than you might think. You rarely have to do much to the inside of the female portion.
Tomcoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 09:38 AM   #16
aged_sage
Native

Another trick for cleaning out the female ferrules is to take the proper size twist drill bit and fill the grooves with OOOO steel wool, moisten with alcohol and SLOWLY insert into the ferrule while slowly twisting in the 'reverse' direction (counter clockwise) . Twisting in the 'reverse' direction greatly minimizes the potential for the 'cutting edge' of the bit from actually cutting/scratching the inside wall.
aged_sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 12:02 AM   #17
cane crazed
Native

Default Wax

I currently own 15 bamboo rods. Panes, Leonards, Grangers, Hardys, Edwars, Orvis, and several of the famous tapers made by local builders. I am not bragging just admitting I am a boo addict. A friend and builder turned me on to a product called orange wax. Does a wonderful and does wonders for some of the old musty rod socks.
cane crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 12:11 AM   #18
cane crazed
Native

Default Stuck

If the ferrules do not separate under even pulling I usually try a piece of rubber or in extreme cases put the rod behind me near the rear knee joints. If it does not come apart then you probably have a jammed ferrule in any case just keep trying the gentle pulling. Easy to snap a rod at the ferrule in that case. Usually cleaning the female ferrules often will assure proper fitting. There are some builders that I feel fit the ferruling system to snug. Cleaning both male and female can make a big difference. Nothing like a cane rod. You can feel every muscle right down to the heart beat.
cane crazed is offline   Reply With Quote