NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > NGTO President / BOD Announcements
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-13, 09:57 AM   #1
Gatorbyte
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)

Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte
Default 2013: Year End Review

Well folks, 2013 is wrapping up and there is so much to share. There have been many changes among the Board Of Directors and officers, funds raised, projects supported, and plans made for the future. Many of you were at the Fall fling this year so these announcements are not a surprise.

The Ole Man Retires

After more than a dozen years as acting treasurer and more, Jack “the Ole Man” Edwards has stepped down as treasurer. Jack has been involved with NGTO since its inception. What he has done for NGTO cannot be measured. Jack is a library of information and he will be sorely missed, thank goodness Jack will still participate as an active member of the advisory board. If you have not had the good fortune of meeting Jack, please take the time to go back and look at his contribution over past 1.5 decades. Without him, NGTO would not be the organization it is today. We are forever grateful.

Changes to the Board of directors and officers:

With Jack stepping down as Treasurer, that left a very important position open and we owe a great deal of thanks to Bill “THE EG” Egeland for stepping up and attempting to fill Jack’s shoes. The EG has also been involved with NGTO since it’s beginning and has previously served on the Board of Directors and is an essential component of the advisory board. It is a bonus that Bill has an incredible memory and is the self Designated Message Board Prude.

At our annual Board of Directors meeting, George “Trout8myfly” also stepped down as Director and has since transitioned to the Advisory Board. George continues to be actively involved with NGTO and still frequently moderates the board. His participation in project management and Fling preparation has been remarkable and it puts my mind at ease that he will continue to remain a support for NGTO. Thank you George for always being willing to step up and all that you continue to do.

With an open spot on the BOD it was a unanimous decision to appoint Marcus “Swamp Angel” Tullis to the BOD. As many of you know he has been the Wizard behind the curtain on our Facebook Page and our traffic has increased with great new content that is creative, pertinent, informative, and at times humorous. Swampy has also always volunteered on special projects and helped out at Flings. His dedication and enthusiasm made for an easy decision by the BOD to add him as a director.

Hall of Fame:

Each year we add a few members to the Hall of fame and this year there were 4 individuals who stood out as Superlatives. All four of these members have volunteered to help in many different ways. They actively provide valuable content to the message board and help us fulfill our mission statement. Congratulations to all to a job well done.

Clark “Scallen2112” Allen: Clark has made multiple contributions to NGTO over the years. He is a talented craftsman and has built several of the Shadow Boxes used for raffles.

Todd “Groundpounder” Arnold: Todd consistently adds valuable content to the message board. He is always willing to lend a hand and is also a great metal worker.

Brent “Baldea” Baldock: Brent has been around for the better part of a decade. Looking back at many posted questions, Brent is often one of the first to answer questions. He has also put in more hours than can be counted in organizing Fly Tying grab bags for the past few flings.

Marcus “Swamp Angel” Tullis: Marcus is all about NGTO and the spirit of the board. His writing style is entertaining but his management of the facebook page and volunteerism is outstanding.

Fall Fling Update:

The 2013 fall fling was a complete success. Not only were we able to provide informative seminars and disseminate information we had incredible attendance. Some of the programs were Fly tying with Steve Hudson, the Drag Free Drift led by Landon “Fishbreath” Williams, DH primer by Jeff Gillespie, Swift water and River Safety by the Gwinnett Swift Water Rescue team, and Kayak rigging by Randy “Riverpirate” Vining. There was also casting demonstrations by Steve Levetan and Kent Edmunds. Scott “RScott” Brown and Pat “2Fly” Brechbill also put on a Q&A/demo of tightline nymphing rigs. Of course there were also some fine eats provided by B983 and his BBQ team. The fall Fling is our primary fundraiser and we did extremely well and as a result will be able to fund worthwhile agencies such as DNR, TU, GWFF, and Project Healing Waters/Fly Fishing for Vets. This year we were able to purchase Dissolved Oxygen Loggers and software in an effort to assist DNR and the USACE in developing strategies to manage releases to create a better fishery in the Hooch Tailwater.

This year we had a rod raffle that was tied into the fall fling. We sold nearly 200 tickets out of 300 and were able to generate additional funds that will be put to good use in the near future. I was fortunate enough to meet with the winner Andy Fleming last week to present him with the Rod/Reel outfit and assure you a more deserving winner could not be found.

Upcoming events.

As we head into 2014 there are a few events that you should keep an eye out for. RScott and Slowstreamer are heading up a work group that is going to assist us in updating the site to a more current version. They are looking to reduce some of the “bugs” we encounter and allow for more “mobile device friendly” accessibility. There will be some architectural changes along the way and you may see some changes to the real estate of the forums as well. Please bear with us as this is a work in progress, but we do not anticipate any “downtime” of the board, so that is positive! If you would like to assist Scott and Sam and their team, please reach out RScott via PM

If you were at the Fall Fling, I’m sure you saw an Item that we will be Raffling off after the first of the Year. This is a 2013 Jackson ‘Cuda 14’ Kayak. This is an amazing boat with a retail value of $1300.00. It comes complete with rod holders and one of the most comfortable seats on the market. It is incredibly stable and can really open up your options. We will be having a limit of 300 tickets at $10.00 each. Tickets will be available through PayPal and other locations such as a few TU meetings, events, club meetings, etc. The current plan is to draw the winning ticket at the Spring Fling (Draw date is subject to change pending BOD review).

Well, I’ve gone on long enough but 2013 has been an incredible year. Thanks again to all that support us and we appreciate your continued efforts. NGTO is only as strong as the membership so step up and help assure our resources are here for tomorrow. Let’s make 2014 better than 2013.

Stay Safe and and have a Happy New Year

Bret “Gatorbyte” Nelson
NGTO President

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"Your a Idiott" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

Last edited by Gatorbyte; 12-29-13 at 06:43 PM.
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 01:15 PM   #2
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Congratulations to all the HOF inductees and new appointments!!

I appreciate all of your collective and individual efforts in promoting and preserving our trout fisheries...keep paying it forward, guys...

I only wish I could meet up with you guys and fish or have fellowship sometime...health issues are a confound at present.

Blessings !!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 01:44 PM   #3
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

I'll come get you Jimmy if you want to fish. My favorite 2013 moment was stocking fish at whitewater, New Member with son caught a trout with Steve Hudson's Help
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 02:26 PM   #4
David Parker
Native

Great group. Glad to be here. Go Dawgs!

I still remember the refrain of one of the most popular barrack ballads of that day which proclaimed most proudly that "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."
And like the old soldier of that ballad, I now close my military career and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty.

Gen. Douglas MacArthur
David Parker is offline   Reply With Quote