NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-09, 08:15 AM   #21

Thanks for y'alls info. I'm new to both furling and this board (good site).

I'm having trouble finding a thread picker (with gate). I've searched the web and looked locally around Greensboro, NC.

I'm hoping someone can help. Thanks jb

Also, here is a site in the UK on furling.

Lastly, you can buy tippet rings here.

Last edited by jb789; 12-02-09 at 09:42 AM. Reason: mistake
jb789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-09, 08:18 AM   #22
Ex El Presidente Supremo, Happy Cowboy Sunshine Boy (currently in exile on Elba)
Send a message via AIM to Gatorbyte

Is a thread picker the tool used to make the shorb loops, if so, you can get them at JoAnns Fabrics and most craft stores. The smallest ones are better than larger sizes. The handles are purple and lavendar.

ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
- B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"You're an Idiot" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

"I can’t be nobody but the Gatorbyte. Yes, I like talking about myself in the third person. Something tells me deep down inside you like it too. I'm YUGE!" - Bret "Gatorbyte" Nelson
Gatorbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 05:33 PM   #23

thread picker? thought it was a hopper leg maker...

Flion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 09:37 AM   #24

Yes, they are the same thing and, as you note, they are available in most all fabric shops and hobby/craft stores, where they are known as Knit Pickers.
aged_sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 05:32 PM   #25

Rookie here..what is the advantage of furled leaders over regular tapered leaders.? Thanks
mb222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-14, 10:17 AM   #26

They are very supple, they have no memory, if cast without tippet by hand they form nice loops just like the line, which should benefit energy transfer, they have a long 'use' life (all you do is to change the tippet, as needed), no knots to hang up in guides or to 'harvest moss'.
Old 12-25-14, 03:15 PM   #27
two feathers
Default knot

which knot is mostly used to attach the tippet to the furled leader?
two feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-14, 03:34 PM   #28

Originally Posted by two feathers View Post
which knot is mostly used to attach the tippet to the furled leader?

If the furled leader has a loop on each end you would use a loop to loop connection. Some folks incorporate a tippet ring or micro swivel in which you would then just use your preferred knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KeithO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-14, 10:46 AM   #29

I would like to add a few comments on the OP; based on my 5 years of furling. The first has to do with the use of springs for tensioning.This is a variation on the 'spring' that Skip Shorb, my mentor, uses. (He has a motorized board, as do I, and he uses a key caddy which is attached to the legs at the tippet end.) There is a downside to using springs of any kind: The applied tension is NOT uniform along the length of the the leader legs; resulting in a 'non-uniform' leader. The solution to this is to mount a small pulley, such as a patio door pulley, to the end of the board and suspend a weight over the pulley, to which the tippet end is attached. This yields a much tighter, and uniform furl, and the tension is consistent over the entire length

I have posed the question on every forum where furling is mentioned in an effort ascertain where the 10% reduction value comes from; all to no avail. I have not received the first response to date. Turning to the realm of the physicist, one learns that there are maximum reduction percentages for 'twisting' (=furling) multiple strands together. The values are: for a 2 strand 'rope'*=63%; for a 3-strand 'rope'=68%; and, for a 4-strand 'rope'=69%. The three "Gods" (of which I am one) on the 'proboards' site have all played around with the % reduction, and uniformly agree that a 22-25% reduction for the standard 2-strand leader is optimal. It yields a much tighter furl than the 10%, but retains all of the attributes of the 10%. Beyond 25%, they become too stiff to be of value.

With respect to materials, almost any nylon or polyester thread will work. I, along with some of the commercial makers, use the GÜtterman polyester threads made in Germany. If you go to the 'proboard' site and look under "Furled Leader Hardware" and click on "Tools, Materials, and Leaders" and the go to the third thread, "new BFLF spreadsheets" by Karel Gol, you will find that he has a Tab, captioned "Thread Sizes", on the spreadsheet. This table lists some 50+ threads and their 'tech specs', that are, or can be, used to make furled leaders. You will see that there are several brands of thread that are equivalent to the oft referenced "Uni" threads.

*rope; All a furler is doing is twisting a simple rope; albeit, a tapered one.