NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > Suggestion Box
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-16, 12:17 AM   #21
sasquatch
Native

Default tidal wave

i been fishin buford dam since 1970 and seen some huge releases with big waves that would get you dead with a quikness if you didnt get out fast especially in wet years..i got the whole river at reliance turned up on me during biggest caddis hatch i ever seen an me catchin fat trout left an right, i heard the water coming an i walked an ran on the water too.about 1980 or so..i broke my good reliable feralite fenwick,got it fixed an with all aluminum oxide guides etc.i,ll never forget hundreds of caddis crawling up my legs and all over me,fat trout slashing into them everywhere.once even caught a striped bass trash fish there,kinda heart breaking.anyway yes..save your life an watch those release schedules..........
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-16, 11:12 AM   #22
Philhutch80
Native

Default Just reread this thread

Given all the advances in technology would it be nice if we had live webcams streaming at the dam and at the NPS and other parks on the tailwaters? Live action on seeing people fishing or the water coming up would be a great teacher.
The other thing is now that we have drones and so many advances in film we collectively at NGTO should work together as a team considering how many hit the dam and other areas close to it to film what happens on a tailwater release. Another aspect of it also is the frequency and wavelength of the release itself. For example a three hour release at 127 ( what they quantify as a 12,000+cfs release which is the max) can create some four and five foot standing waves below bowmans. I moonlight sometimes as a whitewater kayaker and water has honestly scared the s*&t out of me a couple of times. Just a suggestion for the suggestion box.
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-16, 12:24 PM   #23
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Phil....NGTO once maintained a webcam on the Hooch....provided by The Fish Hawk. It was a maintenance headache. We had a few volunteers that would go to the webcam location at a moments notice to give it a whack and get it going when it went offline. Like a leaky water pipe, it never broke at a convenient time. The camera was mounted on private property using an Internet feed graciously provided by the landowner. Ultimately the property was sold and the webcam was mothballed.

I'm sure the BOD would be open for suggestions regarding a webcam if some of these issues could be resolved.

Hoochcam archive

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/hoochcam/index.html

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Last edited by Drifter; 10-19-16 at 12:34 PM.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-16, 01:03 PM   #24
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

You can also sign up for alerts on the USGS website that will notify you when your selected thresholds are met. Everytime BD or MF releases I get an email, but you can sign up for text messages as well.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-16, 09:29 AM   #25
orey10m
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Phil....NGTO once maintained a webcam on the Hooch....provided by The Fish Hawk. It was a maintenance headache. We had a few volunteers that would go to the webcam location at a moments notice to give it a whack and get it going when it went offline. Like a leaky water pipe, it never broke at a convenient time. The camera was mounted on private property using an Internet feed graciously provided by the landowner. Ultimately the property was sold and the webcam was mothballed.

I'm sure the BOD would be open for suggestions regarding a webcam if some of these issues could be resolved.

Hoochcam archive

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/hoochcam/index.html
Drifter, very cool to see that. I didn't know that used to exist.

I would think we could get it up and running again, and, since 2008 (when that last screenshot was taken) there have been a LOT of advances in camera technology, etc. Some of which likely help withreliability/service continuity.
orey10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-16, 10:40 AM   #26
Philhutch80
Native

Default Could not agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by orey10m View Post
Drifter, very cool to see that. I didn't know that used to exist.

I would think we could get it up and running again, and, since 2008 (when that last screenshot was taken) there have been a LOT of advances in camera technology, etc. Some of which likely help withreliability/service continuity.
This is something that definitely would be awesome to see again. Anyone opposed to having info regarding this added to this thread?
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote