NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-16, 12:07 PM   #11
splatek16

Man, thanks. Means a lot coming from a seasoned angler like yourself, 2Fly.
and, given the flurry of gift cards I got, I just ordered a 10 foot, 3 wt nymphing rod. A cheapo (maxcatch) rod, but I figured it would be an ok start. And, to be honest I've bought a few maxcatch things and really like them (keeping in mind I have no high quality name brand anything, except waders (Orvis) which was simply by necessity as I had driven to the Tuck and developed a hole in the waders I had been given by an old neighbor)

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fly View Post
Considering you are using a 8' 4 wt, I'd say you did outstanding at nymphing. If you ever try out a true tight line nymphing rod you'll be surprised at how much better you can detect, control drift, and protect lighter tippets. Good job dude.
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 05:23 PM   #12
splatek16

Default Another great day at Smith Creek

Decided to get on up to Smith Creek again today. Wasn't worried about rain, which turns out was non-existent anyhow. In fact, it didn't start raining until I was about to start the truck. And I totally overdressed - it was warm!!! Too warm for thermal base layer, that's for sure.

Still working my euro nymph technique and tied a few frenchies and gold bead hare's ear, and some squirmy worms, among other fancier/flashier things the past few days.

I strolled in to the place I fished last week and on my third cast BAM strike. Rainbow. That was the first of about a dozen rainbow brought to hand and several other missed hook sets or thrown hooks. My catch rate has over doubled in average at Smith.

Added bonus: on the way out I saw a couple sitting in their truck. I gave the standard "you guys coming in or heading out?" greeting. They told me they were leaving and we go to talking about our catches. Well after 10-15 minutes and more than a few references to my 6 year old boy (who I talk about non-stop) @bozosnightmare realizes it's me. Small world. It was great putting a face with another NGTO-er. No pics today; I was working on my fast release. But, my lovely girlfriend made the attached video with some iPhone app.... Hope it comes thru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU26_5vjV7Q
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote