NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Salt Water Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-17, 11:28 AM   #1
DavidEdens
NGTO Sponsor

Default Winter time fishing, St. Simons

Sorry for the late report, but I have been on the water almost constantly until recently since right before Christmas sight fishing red fish, so no time for computer work.

Sight Fishing Red Fish
WOW!!! That is all I can say about the sight fishing red fish right now. Big schools of red fish are moving all over the flats, pushing water and chasing bait and eating flies.
Winter time sight fishing red fish is all about the weather and the tides. Low tides from late morning until mid afternoon, bright skies and calm wind spell success. We had some days sight fishing red fish when it was windy and cloudy where we had trouble getting the red fish to bite. Some days we found them on the outgoing low tide, and on other days we found them on the incoming tide. At this time of year you have to move around to find the fish. My motto is, “Never Give Up.”

We have been able to find clear water even during the current full moon tide cycle. We have have had genuine 10′ tidal changes recently. Imagine how much water is rushing up and down the rivers and inlets for the water to change from a -1.4 ft low tide to a +8.6 ft high tide. The amount of water moving in and out of the inlets, rivers and creeks is unimaginable. However, we have been able to find clear water for sight fishing red fish

Anyway, we keep at it. Sight fishing red fish with a fly rod. I am just going to let the photos do the talking.

If you are in St. Simons for a meeting, conference or holiday–or simply want a winter time get a way–give me a call, and let’s go “Hunting Fish in the Marshes of Glynn.”

This is a link to video taken several years ago showing what winter time red fishing is like:

Two Guides Take a Holiday

There are more pictures on the fishing reports page of my web site:
www.flycastcharters.com
Capt Dave Edens
www.flycastcharters.com
706.540.1276 cell–best
912.289.1061 home

Sight fished red fish

Red Fish never Smile

Tim’s Puppy Drum

Copper Colored Red Fish

Matt’s big red. Look over Matt’s left shoulder. The nervous water is a school of red fish. Love winter time fishing

Carter's nice red fish

12 lb red on a 6 weigh fly rod

Look how clear the water is
www.flycastcharters.com
FFF Certified Casting Instructor
Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide

Last edited by DavidEdens; 01-31-17 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Add more photos
DavidEdens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 04:29 PM   #2
Joe_Atlanta
Native

For some reason, the photos are not showing up for me.