NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying Tips and Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-16, 10:16 PM   #11
Dtroutmann
Native

Looks like a great fly!! Curious what brand whip finisher you're using

Trophies are relative
Dtroutmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-16, 01:47 PM   #12
Swimmer
Native

I'd like to thank Big T for this pattern. I tied up a couple dozen last week and went to Frog Hollow to test them. The fish ate them up. Then, yesterday went back to Frog Hollow to assist with a group of vets who fished there. The new stockers loved the Moonshine Midge as well as some of the other guides/helpers. I wound up giving away everything that I had tied and will be working on some more this coming weekend.

One observation that has me baffled. We could see the fish stacked up in a couple of holes. You could throw out almost any fly and catch one of two fish, but no more. If I then changed flies, it was possible to catch one or two more on the new fly. It's almost as if the trout could see that their buddies were hooked on a specific fly, and would no longer eat that particular one. I hate to draw any conclusions from this, but are the fish smarter than we give them credit for or was it simply an aberration? Anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Also... a big Thank You to Jason Weeks for the beautiful 7 1/2 ft 3wt bamboo rod that he built. The rod handled those 13-18" fish without any difficulty whatsoever and I look forward to fishing it for many years to come.
Old 10-20-16, 02:13 PM   #13
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

File this under "For what it's worth":

According to Gatorbyte....I know right? He says trout do not have a cerebral cortex and therefore are incapable of reasoning.

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 08:36 PM   #14
story teller1981
Native

Alright I tied them up and an awful experience. The fish would not stop biting it. I used it at Hatchery Creek on the Cumberland River and caught 48 fish that day, most of them on the Moonshine. Awesome fly thanks again for sharing it.
story teller1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 10:22 PM   #15
orey10m
Native

So, Big T, when you say "midges, midges" and I believe one time you said "...midges", is this like one you're referring to?

(trying to up my midge game and downsize my offerings some, and 'midge' still seems to me like such it can be an indefinite term in the fly fishing world )

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-17, 07:45 AM   #16
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by orey10m View Post
So, Big T, when you say "midges, midges" and I believe one time you said "...midges", is this like one you're referring to?

(trying to up my midge game and downsize my offerings some, and 'midge' still seems to me like such it can be an indefinite term in the fly fishing world )

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes that is one of my go to midges. By definition, a midge is any small flying non-biting insect so it is pretty generic, kind of like the term nymph. You can tie them in so many size, color, and pattern variations.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 07:54 AM   #17
splatek16
Native

I concur: good pattern that I've borrowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 12:34 PM   #18
orey10m
Native

I am going to try some of them today on the hooch Dh. Looking forward to it!
orey10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-17, 10:45 PM   #19
Da Riffler
Native

Great fly T thank you for the instruction, it's easy to tie and catches fish! Right in my wheel house!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk