NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-16, 03:38 PM   #11
Swimmer
Native

Good stuff Chris. I'm graduating from bream to bass to trout any day now.
Old 08-24-16, 06:42 PM   #12
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Dang.....I was fishing "tenkara" style over 55 years ago with a cane pole and red wigglers. Just goes to show.....ain't nothing new under the sun

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 09:49 AM   #13
Swimmer
Native

Me too Preacher, but switched to fly fishing 62 years ago. Now it appears that I've come full circle. Still love to cast a dry fly with my bamboo and graphite rods, but somehow the idea of catching fish on a Tenkara outfit is very appealing.
Old 08-26-16, 02:20 PM   #14
Banker In Space
Native

I am a little late to this party but from my limited research (and it is limited) is this somewhat similar to using something like a Crappie Buster or something? It is an interesting idea but trying to see if my thought process is on track.....
Banker In Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 09:53 PM   #15
iso1600
Native

Banker, yes, you're on the right track. Differences are (but not limited to)- crappie pole will feel like a 2x4 compared to even the stiffest tenkara rods... With tenkara you generally start with a line the same length as the rod, and go up from there. Some guys use lines 10m (~30ft) long on a 12' rod. Might not seem like much compared to normal fly fishing, but this is with no reel.

I started fly fishing with a pretty average modern medium-fast carbon 4wt fly rod. About the same time, I bought a cheap tenkara rod to try out. While I like throwing long casts (who doesn't?) and working different currents (sometimes!), I kept finding myself using the tenkara setup more frequently. It is far simpler, quicker to get on and off the water, and just less gear to fiddle with. I like simplicity.
Later on, as I got more tenkara rods, I also got a 2wt glass (Cabelas CGR)... I don't think I'll ever buy another carbon/graphite fly rod. If I'm going to use a reel, it'll be on glass. I think your average glass rod feels a lot more like a nice tenkara rod- lots of flex, lots of feel for the fish on the end of your line.
Old 05-10-17, 02:07 PM   #16
iso1600
Native

Some information on two VERY easy shops to order internationally through-

First up, Tenkara-Ya. This site is ran by one dude, Keiichi-san, and he's great. He is active on facebook and I have done a lot of communication with him on there. His English is great, and he is in typical Japanese fashion, VERY respectful, courteous, and always wants to help, even if you wind up changing your mind on something, he is happy to help. I have ordered from him 3 times now I think. If there is something you want that isn't on his site, he can most likely get it, and he'll let you know approx. how long it will take him to source the item. Even if it means him going to a store in person and getting a part, he'll do it.
He will then give you an invoiced total including shipping. His costs, after shipping, are generally 10-30% lower than Tenkarabum. Shipping on a rod is not much, since they are so light. Japan Post EMS is very fast, figure $10-$20 to get a rod from Japan to the US in 3-4 days.
http://www.tenkaraya.com/

This other shop, I tried out on my last rod purchase. Their site translates very well with Google Chrome, is easy to navigate (once you learn the translated terminology), and their prices are good. You have to make an account, and place the order, then after they total shipping they send you a paypal invoice. Similar process to Tenkaraya, but they have a larger site with more listed inventory, since it's a small chain in Japan. They were SUPER easy to deal with, have really nice prices, and shipped crazy fast.
http://www.fishing-otsuka.co.jp/statics/international/

My two newest rods are Daiwa Seiryu-X in 3.5m and 4.5m (11' and 15') sizes. These are Hae or Seiryu rods. Hae is like a creek chub in Japan that is popular to fish for, they get beautiful spawning colors like some of the ones we have here. They are commonly found in.... calm stream, which translates to- you guessed it, Seiryu. Hae/Seiryu rods are typically VERY soft, full-flex, and a LOT of fun to play a smaller to medium sized fish on.
Last fall I caught a ~16 stocker brookie on a 2.9m Nissin Air Stage (VERY soft seiryu) w/ 7X, and it was an epic battle. Lately I've been catching fat sunfish and loads of redeye bass on these two Daiwa rods, and they're just so much fun. You feel every head shake.

With my 4.5m rod, while it is VERY soft, and flexes into the handle, since it's so long it acts as a big fulcrum, giving me power to pull in a fish that is probably larger than I should be targeting. These rods are rated to work with up to 5X tippet, and combined with how much they flex, it would take a really big fish to break off- the rod will protect the line a LOT. This 4.5m rod would be awesome on a tailwater with lots of casting room, and will happily handle your average stocker sized trout, giving plenty of fight but not being outgunned on a hard run. I caught a few on the Nant with it, and it was loads of fun.
Old 05-10-17, 06:28 PM   #17
jfgros01
Native

I have another company to look into if you are interested in tenkara. Also curious to hear Iso's thoughts.

Dragontail Tenkara is out of Idaho, they sell three rods of their own, and carry a line of higher end rods out of Idaho. The company itself has excellent customer service, updated me with my order, shipping and answered a few questions before I bought the rod.
http://dragontailtenkara.com/

I ordered the hellbender, which is rated as their big-fish rod. Reasonably priced(all their rods are), really nice build quality. 7:3 action, 13/11' rod (13' rod and the last butt section locks when you collapse it so you can fish it at 11') The 11' feels a bit odd when casting, not sure if its how the rod is weighted with the one section collapsed or what. Still can throw a delicate dry fly, but I have this thing rigged for the hooch and have no problem throwing a dropper setup with some weight on it. Also have a line specifically designed for weighted nymphs, this helps with the heavier setup(Moonlit Oudachi). Biggest fish I've caught on the hooch was around 17-18" and I had a blast bringing him in. I can easily see this rod being able to control a trout in the 25" range. Seems like it could be a good rod for bass as well.

Again i'm new to Teankara and fly fishing in general so take EVERYTHING I say with a grain a salt
jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 07:21 PM   #18
iso1600
Native

I haven't fished a Dragontail, but I've spoken with Brent Auger (owner) and bought a Nissin rod from him, and sold a tent to him as well. He is a stand-up guy, and I've not heard a single bad thing about his company or rods.

Another small US-based company to check out is Badger Tenkara. They're up in the midwest somewhere, and have pretty boring-looking rods (all are flat olive drab) that are supposed to be great value. Like Dragontail, they have excellent customer service. Their UNC (Un-Named Creek) rod is a short 2.6m (7'?) and a little stiff, so it would be great for blue-lining, cuz uhhh, that is exactly what it's made for. It's normally around $100, goes on sale every now and then for like $85, and it's supposed to also be great for kids.