NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-17, 10:53 PM   #1
FlickNdip
Native

Default Intro to Safe Wading

With all the new members over the last few months and new fly fishermen I have been meeting on the water I figured I would write a short Intro To Safe Wading blog. Figured I would share!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 07:39 PM   #2
jfgros01
Native

As a newbie, I found I had an inflated sense of confidence while wadding. A few close calls taught me otherwise. Thanks for sharing!
jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 11:38 AM   #3
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Thumbs up Excelent Advice!

FlicknDip has provided a great summary of wading 101 common sense. I would double down on the wading belt. I always wear one and now I have one that doubles as a back support. Number of years ago, mid-October in Colorado at about 7500 feet. Had a little ooops! that put me almost face down in some very cold water. Got up, went to the shore and while organizing gear for the walk out I bent over from the waist and about a gallon+ of river water ran out of the tops of my waders - pants were dry.

Other Bits:

- Tell someone where your life insurance policy is and where to come find your body. Or, always tell someone where you are going and when to expect you to return. This practice saved one of our Pisgah TU members life.
- Assume that EVERY rock in the river will move when you step on it.
- Paired with the above, every limb in the water or along the edge will break as soon as you step on it or try to hold onto it.
- The clear deep hole you are guessing is 4' deep will actually float your hat.
- Vibram or Felt? Depends on where you go fishing. Step out of the car, walk five minutes to a tailwater - that's felt. Walk 5 miles to a blue line, that's vibram.

LAST but not least: As soon as you have your waders on, gear ready, hat just right ... you will have to pee. No, the urge will not go away with cold water - just get it over with.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 09:31 PM   #4
FlickNdip
Native

X2 on the having to pee the moment you are suited up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
FlicknDip has provided a great summary of wading 101 common sense. I would double down on the wading belt. I always wear one and now I have one that doubles as a back support. Number of years ago, mid-October in Colorado at about 7500 feet. Had a little ooops! that put me almost face down in some very cold water. Got up, went to the shore and while organizing gear for the walk out I bent over from the waist and about a gallon+ of river water ran out of the tops of my waders - pants were dry.

Other Bits:

- Tell someone where your life insurance policy is and where to come find your body. Or, always tell someone where you are going and when to expect you to return. This practice saved one of our Pisgah TU members life.
- Assume that EVERY rock in the river will move when you step on it.
- Paired with the above, every limb in the water or along the edge will break as soon as you step on it or try to hold onto it.
- The clear deep hole you are guessing is 4' deep will actually float your hat.
- Vibram or Felt? Depends on where you go fishing. Step out of the car, walk five minutes to a tailwater - that's felt. Walk 5 miles to a blue line, that's vibram.

LAST but not least: As soon as you have your waders on, gear ready, hat just right ... you will have to pee. No, the urge will not go away with cold water - just get it over with.

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 11:02 PM   #5
troutbum69
Native

5 min to tailwater vs 5 miles to blue line. Get some korkers and pop in the appropriate sole for both! If you happen to have felt on though remember wet leaves on the ground are like ice with felt soles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 05:50 AM   #6
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

I'm an aggressive wader but always remember. Just because you can stand in the water doesn't mean you can wade it. It all changes once you lift your foot off the bottom.

Member of the Hooch Human Bobber Team.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 05:57 AM   #7
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
5 min to tailwater vs 5 miles to blue line. Get some korkers and pop in the appropriate sole for both! If you happen to have felt on though remember wet leaves on the ground are like ice with felt soles

X2 on this
... And the having to pee comment.
Just got me some korkers, awaiting my studded vibram soles, in the meantime switching them out from rubber to felt is easy and can be done while assessing the stream before you get in

splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote