NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fly Tying Bench > Fly Tying Tips and Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-17, 10:39 PM   #1
splatek16

Default The Donald

I stopped tying when I picked up the small stream addiction. Not sure why, just seemed like I had no time. But, since I've been hitting the big stream again, I've found myself at the bench a little more. I'm pretty terrible, too. I understand it's a skill, but it's also art(st/crafty) and that gene isn't in my lineage. Anyhow, I try.

This new creation came from me wanting to create something that was half pheasant tail, half (possibly) brown trout alevin/fry. It's basically a large soft hackle pheasant tail with an orange tag for a tail. When I sent an image of it to Big T, he responded "it takes time." Reading between the lines, I figured that was a nice way of saying it won't catch fish. Lol

Well, it found its way into my box anyhow and today while trying a new stretch of water, having only caught a few fish, I decided to try it. I immediately landed my biggest hooch brown to date, then just missed landing three more, then landed another 6-8, and a few bows. At least four of the fish had to be put to the reel. Here's a few that I was able to photograph before taking a dip and deciding that taking pictures of fish in nearly chest deep water is stupid

I ended up losing "The Donald", the only one I tied to a heckuva mess of spinning gear that was just too deep in too fast current for me to retrieve.

This afternoon, while mini me was chilling after camp, I tied a few more and a variant that I call the wind blown Donald, a reverse hackle version.

I guess when the fish are hungry they'll even eat ugly flies that don't even look like food...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 08:50 AM   #2
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

I'm gonna try that fly out at JB on the weekends when the horn music is blasting
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 02:58 PM   #3
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

Default The Donald

At Settles this morning, I threw darn near everything in my fly box with few fish to hand, while Splatek caught fish consistently with The Donald. I'll take a dozen.

Last edited by 3-wt; 07-21-17 at 03:21 PM.
3-wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 03:41 PM   #4
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

I will never look at a fly and say it won't catch fish. I still tie really ugly flies and they catch fish. I knew that dog would hunt.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-17, 03:44 PM   #5
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside Sam View Post
At Settles this morning, I threw darn near everything in my fly box with few fish to hand, while Splatek caught fish consistently with The Donald. I'll take a dozen.

Bahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 12:37 PM   #6
jfgros01
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamside Sam View Post

That reverse hackle is a spitting image of the trumpster
jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote