NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-17, 09:23 PM   #1
trout freak
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to trout freak
Default WNC Weekend

After bumming around the mountains of North Georgia and Western NC most of the summer, life finally caught up with me. Fall semester started fast. Classes are harder than ever before and looking for summer internships has taken any residual free time I had away. Rscott, you were right. This adulting thing sucks!

After almost two fishless months, fall break finally came and I was able to make a quick escape. I headed up to the mountains of western North Carolina for a change of scenery and to unwind a bit. It was exactly what I needed. While I was up there, I was able to sneak some fishing in between hanging with the girlfriend and hanging with some school friends. If you know me, you probably know exactly where I went.

There's truly nothing like finally being reunited with the place you think about most when life gets hard. As I wadered up and stepped into the river, my stresses disappeared. The only thing I was focused on was perfecting my drifts, not upcoming interviews, solution thermodynamics, or how the heck I'm supposed to use the Navier-Stokes equations to model velocity profiles in fluids. Life was suddenly much simpler. I was also lucky to have a buddy there with me. It's a work in progress, but my girlfriend's dog has turned into a pretty solid fishing partner!

At first, I caught a few small wild rainbows here and there. Nothing special really. After a little while, I came up on a run that looked too good to not have a nice fish. One cast later, this guy bit. I love fall...

I finished the afternoon with twenty or so with all but two being hearty wild fish.

The next day, the remnants of Hurricane Nate went through. All the local creeks were blown out.

Monday, a friend and I decided to try our luck in some stained water. He had never fly fished before, so it was great to get him to catch some fish.

Since all the trout we had caught up to that point had been smaller wild rainbows, he asked if there were fish of any size in the river. I explained to him that a lot of small rainbows creates the perfect environment for a few big browns. Not long after, I was fortunate enough to stick one. After chasing it 50 yards downstream in some rushing water, I was able to net it.

It wasn't my biggest for this river, but, having been away for so long, I was absolutely stoked to catch it! After being so stressed, I finally felt like all was right with the world again.

It truly amazes me how a few hours of fly fishing can have such a positive mental impact. This past weekend was just what I needed to re-energize myself and to prepare myself for the upcoming challenges I have. Now I'm stuck at school procrastinating by writing this report. Oh well.... Hope you all enjoyed!

Last edited by trout freak; 10-11-17 at 09:33 PM.
trout freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 09:58 PM   #2
DoubleRainbow
Native

Great report and I am jealous of those beautiful browns! My school doesn't have a Fall break unfortunately so I'm going to have to wait till Thanksgiving Break before I wet a line. Were you fishing dries, dry dropper, or tightline nymphing? You're not the only one procrastinating as I'm attempting to finish up my Lab Report right now
DoubleRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 10:02 PM   #3
I_got_skunked
Native

I miss thermodynamics. Such an easy class. I've yet to care about velocity profile in a pipe in real world applications. Crane 410 gets you close enough.
Old 10-11-17, 10:33 PM   #4
trout freak
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
I miss thermodynamics. Such an easy class. I've yet to care about velocity profile in a pipe in real world applications. Crane 410 gets you close enough.
Always love hearing how what I'm stressing over now is more than likely going to be of little use when I start working
Old 10-11-17, 10:35 PM   #5
trout freak
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleRainbow View Post
Great report and I am jealous of those beautiful browns! My school doesn't have a Fall break unfortunately so I'm going to have to wait till Thanksgiving Break before I wet a line. Were you fishing dries, dry dropper, or tightline nymphing? You're not the only one procrastinating as I'm attempting to finish up my Lab Report right now
Bummer! I did a little bit of it all, but mostly just nymphed. I did do well with small dries in skinny water though.
Old 10-12-17, 08:54 AM   #6
Stinkbait
Native

Fantastic report. Beautiful browns. Sounds like you'd get to fish more if you were an English major.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 10:20 AM   #7
andymoore
Native

Nice fish man! It's good to see another CHBE on here from Tech!!
andymoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 01:06 PM   #8
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Cool Ah, The Great Unwashed

" ... fish more if you were an English major. ...."

Yes and no to that. I have one degree in Journalism/English and the other is from the college of engineering (networks). As an engineer on the river you do not have the tools required to solve problems/find solutions, so it truly is time off. The glitch for the English major is that while they may be away from the classroom/work longer, you are still working as your brain takes in the experience of a brown trout slurping down a big dry fly and how are you going to write this so that others will appreciate the experience.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 08:48 PM   #9
Stinkbait
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout freak View Post
There's truly nothing like finally being reunited with the place you think about most when life gets hard.
I agree wholeheartedly with your sense of place. I just came across an interesting study that people experience feelings of wellbeing and contentment more from places than objects.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/doc...rch-report.pdf
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote