NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-17, 10:27 AM   #111
Warmouth
Native

Location: Boise, ID by way of Opelika AL, by way of East Tennessee

Remember this stuff?

It kept the rot out of the plywood for ~50 years so I thought I'd go with it again.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3

Last edited by Warmouth; 07-27-17 at 10:38 AM.
Warmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 01:41 PM   #112
Warmouth
Native

Hey Friends,

I was making great progress on the old gal and had her about 90% done, looking at an October 9 launch date on Henry's Fork. But... On August 9 I herniated a disc while backpacking and fishing in the Sawtooths. It was the third time on the same disc and normally it just gets better in a couple weeks. Not this time. It was definitely the most pain I have ever been in. I could not sit or lie down for 6 weeks. I resorted to sleeping on my back on the floor with my feet and legs in a chair. I'd wake up at 3:30 AM so that I could be standing by 6:30. Finally I had back surgery 3 weeks ago today. So, sadly the old girl has to wait at least a few more weeks before I can give her attention.

And now, I pray thee, take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field and hunt me venison. Genesis 27:3
Old 10-13-17, 08:47 PM   #113
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Hate to hear that Carl. As a veteran of back surgery, I can literally feel your pain. Praying for your full recovery!

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 07:59 AM   #114
Scott Swartz
Hall of Fame Member, NGTO Sponsor

Carl, so sorry to hear about this. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
Scott Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 04:33 PM   #115
Stinkbait
Native

Carl, I hope you got the relief you were looking for. Stay off the oars for awhile.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 07:27 AM   #116
Warmouth
Native

Thank you all. I appreciate it.

Old 10-16-17, 11:46 PM   #117
troutbum69
Native

Carl I'm sorry to hear about your back. Hope you get to feeling better. I want to see all that varnish in the sunshine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-18, 01:45 AM   #118
Warmouth
Native

Hello Friends. Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone is still interested in this project. In my last post I said that I had just had back surgery and it would probably be a few weeks before I could work on the boat again. Well, here it is over a year since I herniated the disc and I just got back to work on her about two weeks ago. It's been a long, painful road but I am finally able to at least lead some sort of a normal life again. Anyway, enough of all that.

The past few nights and weekends have actually been pretty productive. I was able to get the gunnels on, a knee brace made, restored the original front seat, and a few other odds and ends. But a big breakthrough is that I have actually made enough progress on hull repairs that I was able to start putting a finish on the inside of the hull. I decided on an oiled finish because it is a good choice for the arid environment where I live. Man, this old wood is so dry. In the following pics I have applied three coats of 50/50 boiled linseed oil and turpentine and so far it has just sucked into the wood within minutes. Other than turning it dark, there is no indication that there is any kind of finish on it at all. It just feels like dry wood. The rule of thumb, as i understand it, for an oil finish is once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for year, and once a year thereafter. So that is what I am going to try.

The gunnels and frames are varnished and I am going to leave the transom the way it is (with remnants of all the colors that this boat has been over the years) as a nod to its history.

Old 08-30-18, 01:35 PM   #119
Stinkbait
Native

Looking good. Glad you are back in action. Those eggs in the background of your pics have to be getting pretty rotten by now.
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-18, 01:53 PM   #120
troutbum69
Native

Looks great! I wish I'd of heard that oil saying. I just pushed the boat out in the sun for a few hours and let it get real warm then I'd oil it. After a few of those sessions it started to stay oiled. Don't forget about your chine caps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote