NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-17, 12:12 AM   #21
Duke Of Hooch
Native

The "blank" is the actual piece of blank tapered rod before any components are added to complete the rod (components include guides, wraps, tip, grip, reel seat, etc). A lot of people who build their own rods will buy the blank by itself and install the rest of the components to customize the finished rod to their own taste.

After looking around a bit more, I have a guess for the manufacturer of the blank - the pattern on the blank resembles the old Diamondback Classic Trout graphite series, and I think Diamondback did supply Double L rods at some point. If so, I've heard great things about the older Diamondback graphite rods..slower action than most modern graphite and pleasant to cast, but I've never actually handled one myself.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject can shed some more light on my guess...
Duke Of Hooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-17, 06:36 PM   #22
Jimmy Harris
Hall of Fame Member, NGTO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Sailor View Post
The threads do have an epoxy like coating on them, FWIW. Guess I'll just have to call Bean and see what they say. What do you mean by the "blank"? I'm a newby at all of this. Thanks for all the help!
The "blank" is the rod shaft itself. If you look at your blank, the checkerboard pattern indicates a wrapping technique that I don't recall seeing in a Bean rod but I could certainly be wrong on this.

Fishingpreacher, my rod is a simple brown blank.
Jimmy Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 08:34 PM   #23
GT Sailor
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
The "blank" is the rod shaft itself. If you look at your blank, the checkerboard pattern indicates a wrapping technique that I don't recall seeing in a Bean rod but I could certainly be wrong on this.

Fishingpreacher, my rod is a simple brown blank.
Got it! Thanks all for the input, instruction, and advice. Very helpful for fingerling like me! I'm going to look around online for the Diamondback and see if I can find any other rods like this one somewhere. Any idea when in general they started making blanks (my new word of the day) out of graphite?
GT Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-17, 08:54 PM   #24
GT Sailor
Stocker

Found the quote below on another forum from 2013. It appears that Daimondback may have been making rods for LL Bean as far back as the 90's before being bought by Courtland.

Quote:
Speaking of this Diamondback 7034, I also have an older LL Bean Double L rod that is made on the exact same blank as the Diamondback 7034, except it has a green finish over the diamond braid instead of a clear finish. Same spigot ferrules. Says "7034" right above the grip. These are sweet little rods for graphite. My Double L is undoubtedly a Diamondback, and I handled a friend's Double L once that was also the green diamond braid blank (8656, 8'6" 5/6wt 4pc).
GT Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote