NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-17, 10:26 AM   #1
BigTuna
Stocker

Default Heading to Highlands, NC

Taking the wife and dog out of town this weekend to Highlands and trying to get into some good hiking and small stream combos. I've got a new 3 weight I'm dying to break out, so the first water I see is getting slapped with dry dropper!

Anyone have suggestions for the area? We're not afraid of tough, rewarding hikes, and just a little water will suffice as my wife doesn't like standing around too long while I pick a river apart (anyone else have a problem making 20-30 "one last casts"?).

Thanks so much in advance!
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 10:32 AM   #2
The Snag Whisperer
Native

I would say that any of the waterfall hikes >1 mile should be good. I say greater than one mile because the real short ones are always packed with the less mobile folks. Get away from the trailhead and throw some casts. Most of the water up there will have fish.
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 01:57 PM   #3
BigTuna
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snag Whisperer View Post
I would say that any of the waterfall hikes >1 mile should be good. I say greater than one mile because the real short ones are always packed with the less mobile folks. Get away from the trailhead and throw some casts. Most of the water up there will have fish.
Thanks Snag! I appreciate the encouragement, I'll be toting my rod with me wherever we go and report back.

Rain forecast for all day Saturday is trying to put a damper on things but hopefully the streams will clear up quick.
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 07:59 PM   #4
Duke Of Hooch
Native

Tuna Tuna Tuna...there are some excellent trails off the Blue Ridge Parkway if you're willing to make the drive from Highlands. Conveniently, there are also some equally excellent brookie streams adjacent to some of the best trails. Feel free to send me a PM for specifics.
Duke Of Hooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 11:16 PM   #5
theosprey
Native

About halfway back up the trail from Glenn Falls I thought I was going to have to send my old lady or Troutbum69 to the car to get a pistol so someone could put me down.

Team Maddog
theosprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 11:21 AM   #6
The Snag Whisperer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by theosprey View Post
About halfway back up the trail from Glenn Falls I thought I was going to have to send my old lady or Troutbum69 to the car to get a pistol so someone could put me down.
You only make the Glenn Falls mistake once...
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 04:02 PM   #7
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snag Whisperer View Post
You only make the Glenn Falls mistake once...

Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-17, 02:03 PM   #8
paulH
Native

Default Nice walk

Go out horse cove road and head towards the iron bridge over the chattoga. Been several years since I did two construction jobs up there so my directions may not be good. There use to be a store called the highland hiker in town, they can direct you in the right direction. Also there is the delayed harvest section on the natahala and you can go and visit its headwaters. Believe it or not the Cullasaga has trout in it no matter what some folks tell you. Find a pull off on highway 64 headed towards Franklin on th Highlands end and you might be surprised. I had a couple off places that I found that had rainbows and browns staying there. A associate up there with me pulled a 18" brown out of that river. Good luck
paulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-17, 12:45 AM   #9
natureman
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by theosprey View Post
I don't know what it is about that trail. I have hiked much longer and steeper but Glen Falls trail just wears you out.
natureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-17, 01:05 AM   #10
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureman View Post
I don't know what it is about that trail. I have hiked much longer and steeper but Glen Falls trail just wears you out.

In hindsight it's a switch back cut into the side of a gorge. I think the fact that it's on highlands makes you think there's a coffee shop half way down too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote